Front Brake Conversion & Heat Shield

Cowboy91

I'm a bit puzzled about the front disk brake conversion on the 1970 I have. It doesn't seem to fit the parts list for the Turner or SteelTec systems. The calipers were cross referenced to a 1981 C10 Chevy pickup, along with the pads. The backing plate is not one that was cut out of plate in someone workshop, to clean of a job and no PN on it. The brake hose seem to match those of a CJ5/CJ7 from the 78-81 era. No clue on the rotors. Any ideas if this is a kit or a full custom setup.

Also I have a heat shield under the passenage side but done on the drivers side. I've been looking through blogs, books and so on, but I've not run across any comments on a heat shield being installed. There are no hog troughs, they appear to have been replaced by welded cross bracing. So the heat shield I've noted is not a cut up hog trough, the sheet metal is way to neat. As always, thanks for you time.

it sounds like you have a real mishmash of parts on your car. Maybe the best thing is to buy a complete Turner kit and install it. That way you will at least know you have a fully engineered brake setup and what the parts are.

The heat shield must have been installed by a previous owner...it's not factory. It sounds like either a drivers side heat shield was never installed or has been removed. The missing hog troughs could mean problems though. It depends on how well the cross-bracing was done and whether the roll bar is attached.

Thanks Gunslinger. I hear you on the brakes and the hog troughs. Will check the roll bar attachment. Don't believe the individual I purchased the car from put the heat shield in. From what I've run into his mechanical ability is near zero. Making a trip to the "old guy's garage" with the brake stuff and see if he has any ideas. Have a great 4th.

Working with the "old guy", we determined the converstion kit was a steeltech. Seems he put them on several Studebakers. The give away was the re-drilled rotors, something that didn't turn the light blub on for me. Here is the hardware we used (all Napa).

The calipers were from a 1970 Chevy Chevelle. Left was PN SE4591, the right was PN SE4590.

Brake hoses were PN 38160.

Pads were PN SS728A

Caliper hose bolt was PN 82698.

The only hickup was that I had to take a bit of metal off the steering knuckle arms for the, about a 1/16", to give better clearance for the hose and bolt at the caliper. I also rounded the front of the hose block facing the steering knuckle arm for extra clearance.

Hope this help someone from getting gray hair.

On to the heat shield/roll bar issue.