Three Avantis side by side

ken1007

Three supercharged Avantis show up at a small town show in Urbana, Virginia. Several spectators said they rarely see one and had never seen three together. The amazing part is that not a single person tried to tell me they were made in Canada. Ken, Deltaville, Va

post-9327-0-82683100-1406670747_thumb.jpg

That's a sweet photo! You say the convertible has a supercharger on it too?

It's an 89 with supercharger and lots more; road tested by Turning Wheels about 5 years ago at 130 MPH and still had two more gear shifts. Just what every 73 year old needs. Ken, Deltaville, Va.

Where do folks come up with this Canada stuff? I heard they have GM engines and fiberglass bodies-obviously Avantis were made in Bowling Green, KY ☺

Perhaps it's from Studebaker moving to Canada for their last two years.

Sorry folks, no sarcasm/humor font, thought the smiley face ☺ would make up for it. I'm aware of the reasons but like others, find it funny how the Canada (and other stories) keep being repeated by "experts at car shows". I've even heard that "only early ones had bodies made of fiberglass while the metal-stamping tooling was being done for the Avanti II.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was told this week that my car was an early one, and he could tell it wasn't one of the later model Ford made ones cause it has the rear view mirror mounted on the dash ( it's not, it's mounted on the windshield just above the dash like everyone else's.

I thanked him for the history lesson on Avantis and went on my way.....

I was told this week that my car was an early one, and he could tell it wasn't one of the later model Ford made ones cause it has the rear view mirror mounted on the dash ( it's not, it's mounted on the windshield just above the dash like everyone else's.

I thanked him for the history lesson on Avantis and went on my way.....

Common mistake, obviously confused yours with the LATER ford Avantis from the Windsor Plant, which had the rearview mirrors in the glovebox slide-out tray ☺☺☺☺☺