87 Coupe door seal

IndyJimW

Just replaced my roof rail weather-strips on my ’87 Coupe. The seal attaches to the body from the base of the windshield post over the window and down to the top of the door. The seals are for a ’87 Monte Carlo. I used Steele Rubber Products PN 82-0035-68 which includes both drivers and passenger door seals. Great product.

http://www.steelerub...le=2-door-coupe

The seal fits into the runners in the rear and top without any glue needed. The seal comes with push clips instead of using screws on the rear bottom, my OEM seal used one screw but I am going to drill another small hole for the second push clip. The front of the seal is attached to the windshield post using double sided emblem tape. I cut off the bottom front of the seal to match the original.

Brilliant! I need to do a roof rail weather-strip replacement on my 89. I have the frame-less window and need to replace the strips and readjust the window for a tighter seal , any suggestions?

I compared a G-body (Monte Carlo, Malibu, El Camino, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Grand National, Regal) to my 87 Avanti to match the seals. You may also compare a B-body ( Buick Roadmaster, Chev. Caprice) to your '89 Avanti.

Use the current issue of Avanti Magazine for door adjustments or get the Avanti Manual on CD from Studebaker International.

Jim Wood

Pictures of door seal install.

407608804.jpg

Upper seal is old seal, Lower seal is new OEM Chevy Monte Carlo seal.

407608818.jpg

Rear lower part of seal held in place by two screws.

407608812.jpg

Rear corner and top of seal held into runners.

407608807.jpg

Front corner, runner stops at windshield post. Double sided emblem tape is used on post.

407608806.jpg

End of new seal is cut off at base of windshield post.

Jim Wood

Edited by IndyJimW

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of these seals and they don't look even close to what is on my '85.

Jim, do your windows have the metal frame around them or no?

Do you have any close-up photos of the seal area so I can get a feel for how they are mounted - perhaps these can be made to work...

Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't your door assembly the same as the original Stude ones (like mine)? The upper door seal is a 3 piece design, and less than perfect I must admit. Did yours come with a one piece design like shown above?

Apparently there was a change partway through the 83 model year and a different sealing setup was done through the 85 models.

Dan Booth is sending me a set of what is correct for these cars and I should have it next week. I'll start a new thread and update it once I have received them.

I bought a pair of these seals and they don't look even close to what is on my '85.

Jim, do your windows have the metal frame around them or no?

Do you have any close-up photos of the seal area so I can get a feel for how they are mounted - perhaps these can be made to work...

Thanks.

No metal frame around my windows. '87 Was the first year for the Monte Carlo based Avanti and Avanti Corp used all the parts they could from the donor car. My Avanti has metal frames for the seal to sit in along the top and rear.

Jim

This is a GREAT TECH TIP!!....Who would have thought that seals made for the Monte-Carlo body would even be CLOSE to what is called for on an Avanti?...Shows the value of a dedicated forum like this one!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 5:39 PM, R Pino said:

I have an 85 Avanti II.  In need of replacing door weather stripping as well as the ones around the two small side windows.  Any recommendations on whom I should call to purchase these?

I also own a 1985 Avanti.....These '87 Monte Carlo door weatherstrips intrigue me!....And although I've never tried it, I would think that these seals might be adaptable to the Stude-framed '63-'85 Avantis!:o

Of course, this change would be far from original, however, since the rear pillar and roof panel are basically the same as '87-'89, and since the original multiple piece seals used on the '63-'85 Avanti models never really did the job very well, the Monte Carlo seals may be worth a try.

For an Avanti that's driven in all weather conditions, (as my '83 is), a dry interior takes priority over originality!!:D (My opinion)

• 2 months later...

I have an '81 (3318) in need of door seals.  Has anyone tried this on a pre'83 since September??

Thanks

Ed