LED brake lights

TMA62

Have any of you used LED's for your brake lights? I know that it is not prototypical but my concern is increased visibility. The Avanti brake lights are very small to today's cars and I fear someone not noticing me when I am stopped or turning.

That's in advance.

Go to avantiparts.biz. They carry an LED tail light conversion kit that works very well. It's not really inexpensive but does a fine job.

Some have said you need to change flasher units along with this kit as the LED's don't create enough resistance to operate the flasher but I experienced no problems.

Have any of you used LED's for your brake lights? I know that it is not prototypical but my concern is increased visibility. The Avanti brake lights are very small to today's cars and I fear someone not noticing me when I am stopped or turning.

That's in advance.

I will be using LED's on my 74 but for the best effect I still think a third brake light on the rear shelf would be a major upgrade compared any lights that could be added to the OEM lights.

If you want it original for shows, wire it through the trunk with a quick disconnect and run the wire through the hatch with a removable mount.

Bob

Instead of buying LED bulbs. Paint the inside of your tail light housing bright white using engine paint (it can handle heat). Then for added protection I run this LED 3rd brake light that uses suction cups on the rear window of my avanti. This helps put brake lights at eye level and it is what drivers are accustom to seeing on other cars. The BrakeLighter has an RCA type quick disconnect for shows when you don't want it displayed in the rear window. You can adjust angle of brackets holding the suction cups for angle of rear glass and you can adjust the brake light to flash for several seconds or to just glow steady when the brakes are applied.

http://jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm

• 1 year later...

Go to avantiparts.biz. They carry an LED tail light conversion kit that works very well. It's not really inexpensive but does a fine job.

Some have said you need to change flasher units along with this kit as the LED's don't create enough resistance to operate the flasher but I experienced no problems.

No doubt this is the "deluxe fix" for dim bulbs and to increase overall brightness, but I have found that a more modern plug-in LED bulb replacement might be all that you need to improve the visibility of your rear brake lights and rear turn signals in an old Avanti. A big plus is that you do not need to modify your OEM parking light housings.

I just ordered and installed these plug-in units in my rear parking light turn signal assemblies. I would say that these LED replacement bulbs are about 50-100% brighter than the original 1157 bulb types and that they just plug into your existing tail light assemblies for the combination rear parking lights/brake lights. As long as you just replace these rear light bulbs, you will have increased brightness and no modifications are needed to your turn signal blinker units.

Try these units out:

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-AX-2...gy_auto_text_y

Edited by mangusta1969

Those LED 1157 replacement lights are available at Pep Boys and similar retailers as well. It was about 2006-2007 when I purchased the LED boards for my car. If these 1157 replacements had been available then I would have gone that route, but at the time there was no option I was aware of.

I'm hoping that eventually some smaller LED replacement bulbs are marketed for the #57 bulbs in the glove box and inside courtesy lights. That way I can feel comfortable leaving the glove box open at car shows and not be concerned about heat damage to the lens or battery drain for hours. There may never be a replacement for the 57 bulb due to it being a more or less obsolete number now.

You don't have to find the 57 bulb to find a compatable LED. Just the base has to fit and work. Look for a Ba9s base, and you will have many ,many to choose from. For the brightest LED's search for Cree LED's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cree+led%27s+ba9s&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=elACVMzBFM78yQTf-4DACg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=667

You don't have to find the 57 bulb to find a compatable LED. Just the base has to fit and work. Look for a Ba9s base, and you will have many ,many to choose from. For the brightest LED's search for Cree LED's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cree+led%27s+ba9s&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=elACVMzBFM78yQTf-4DACg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=667

Brad,

Thanks for your input. There are so many Cree LEDs out there it is a little overwhelming. Do you have a specific Cree LED recommendation to upgrade the 62/63 Avanti instrument lights? My original instrument incandescents are very dim.

For instruments, you still need LED's that have an array so it puts out light in all directions. The stacked small dash gauges use a box the bulb is mounted in and diffused light is the only source of light. With direct lights in the other gauges it ma not be as much of a problem. The clocks take a clear bulb as there is a red filter inside that makes the light red.