'64 wiring harness ques.

GlennW

Hi Folks, my left rear brake/signal beam is out, low beam is fine so it's not a problem with the shared ground. I have it (wire #28) up at the steering column so at least it's not the directional switch, but not inside the trunk at the lamp socket itself. The book schematic shows the wiring harness has an 8 terminal connector (using 7 of the terminals) somewhere between the trunk & directional switch. Anybody know offhand where they run the harness from the trunk (book shows down the middle of the car but not if it's inside or out, etc.) to the front and where that 8-pin connector is since it's be a perfect place to break the circuit in half with a meter. Thanks!

I don't understand why the low beam has anything to do with the rear light being out. It could certainly be a bad ground wire for the light socket. Use a test light and see if the wire to the left rear is getting power. If it is, you've got either a bad ground to the socket or a bad bulb. The socket could also be dirty inside and the bulb contact isn't making contact.

On the drivers side of the console there's a channel molded into the fiberglass at the floor level where the wire bundle runs. It goes along the floor covered by the carpeting and up and under the rear seat cushion...again...under the carpeting. The base the seat cushion sits on is notched so the seat won't crush the wiring. The wiring then goes behind the seat back, up along the left side under the fuel filler hose into a tunnel that leads to the rear of the trunk. It also includes the antenna cable in that run of wires.

The terminal connector you mention, if it's the one leading from the turn signal switch, is located under the dash by the parking brake handle.

I don't understand why the low beam has anything to do with the rear light being out. It could certainly be a bad ground wire for the light socket. Use a test light and see if the wire to the left rear is getting power. If it is, you've got either a bad ground to the socket or a bad bulb. The socket could also be dirty inside and the bulb contact isn't making contact.

On the drivers side of the console there's a channel molded into the fiberglass at the floor level where the wire bundle runs. It goes along the floor covered by the carpeting and up and under the rear seat cushion...again...under the carpeting. The base the seat cushion sits on is notched so the seat won't crush the wiring. The wiring then goes behind the seat back, up along the left side under the fuel filler hose into a tunnel that leads to the rear of the trunk. It also includes the antenna cable in that run of wires.

The terminal connector you mention, if it's the one leading from the turn signal switch, is located under the dash by the parking brake handle.

Thanks so much for the wire routing info, it'll save a lot of time next time I get a chance to dive into it. By low beam, I meant the running light element of the rear tail lamp. It's a shared ground so if the low works and the brake/turn doesn't you don't need to worry about the ground path. I've got the electrical skills, just needed to know how the wires were routed and I'm never too proud to save time by asking ;)

I ran out & looked under the dash again and yeah, that's an 8-pin connector and the schematic only shows one. No biggie, I can go back to a pin through the wire and good old alligator leads on the meter. Thanks again.

Edited by GlennW

Well, good news/bad news. Since the 8 pin connector including wire #28 is under the dash I was able to read the wire front to back with a 10' teast lead without taking anything apart, only to find it was fine, less than ½ohm for the length. Hit the brakes and the left brake light worked but the turnsignal function didn't. So much for skipping the Socratic Method and my previous, " at least it's not the directional switch" comment. Sure enough, standing on the brake and watching the images of the brake lights against a darked garage door I could make the left side go on/off by barely breathing on the steering column directional switch. Time to make a steering wheel puller and deal with the directional switch.