Body mounts; metal or rubber?

mtgibby

I re-found the bag that has what may be the original body mounts/pads/shims that were removed when the restoration shop separated the body from the chassis 5 or 6 years ago. (see pic)

post-12525-0-41426400-1476450394_thumb.jpg

The technician who bagged the parts did a good job labeling them "D1, P1, D2, P3" etc. Obviously Drivers/Passenger side, probably starting at the front for #1 and working back to #7.

The four large rubber rectangles are labeled #6, and have either "Middle" or "Center" on them. (Cool fact: You can still see the original 53 year old brown tape they were held down with in the pic) I am certain these were taped down to the cross members, but I don't know where. Any ideas?

Mounts #5 are weird. There is a thin, square metal plate (about 3"x3") with a donut shaped, soft rubber pad. The pad has been crushed by something that looks tubular. I don't know where they go. Is there something that would match this (tube shaped) on the bottom of the body?

All of the other mounts/shims (except for "Rear Middle") are steel. Why aren't they rubber? Don't you want a cushion between the chassis and the fiberglass body?

I bought a ton of new rubber shims, so I don't know whether to use the new rubber shims or the old metal shims, or a combination of both?

(And then there is #7 with the drivers side having a large round shim w/ a rectangular metal shim, and the passenger side just using the rectangular shim?)

Sorry to be hogging the board with a ton of questions, but we are really close to dropping the body back on the frame (maybe Saturday), and I don't wanna screw this up!

Thanks,

Mike