HEI DISTRIBUTOR MODULE FAILURE

wildfelr

RQB3263 305 WITH HEI...We have two separate cars both with aftermarket HEI distributors...In the last 2 years i have replaced 6 modules ..3-or 4 in each...I buy the expensive ones and they dont last either...fortunately there easy to change and i carry spares and tools....so whats going on here?....why the high failure rate and how can this be corrected ??

If you can, buy a genuine GM module...they last. The aftermarket modules have a reputation for not lasting that long and don't provide any better performance no matter what the high performance press hype says.

When I had a '78 Corvette, for no particular reason I replaced the 30+ year old GM module...which had never caused an issue...with a Pertronix module...I bought into the hype. It ran no different and lasted maybe a year or so.

RQB 3263...THANKS..my local xpert made the same recommendation....so i ordered some and hope i receive what i ordered ...wont know till next week...thanks ....BILL

RQB3263 ...OK HERE IS THE DEAL...... 5-GM-NOS NIB Factory HEI Ignition Control Modules 4 Pin 6?-8 Cylinder....ebay item number...122108845759....i bought 15 @ $4.00 each delivered...(im 72 life time supply) . i called him direct...really nice guy ready to deal....shipped within 1 hr of my call !! cant loose at $4 each ....bill RQC3263

RQB3263....81/305...FYI..I just read on a corvette forum to be sure to use "heat sink paste" on the underside of the module....NOT dieelectric grease.....Heat sink paste is what is generally supplied in the box with new modules but can be purchased at Autozone and RadioShack...ill get some today....BILL RQB3263

RQB3263...81/305 FYI I just returned from Radio Shack affiliate store (former Radio Shack still sells RS items)...Bought a tiny 1/4 oz. tube of "heat sink compound" p/n 276-1372

$3.50....GOOD LUCK...RQB3263