Any other 84-85 owners have this?

jvespey

My '85 originally came with an electric fan setup. Service orders from the selling dealer that I got with the car indicate that the original owner was not happy with how it cooled the car in the Houston summer, so it was replaced with a fan/clutch and shroud sourced from Avanti Motors.

When I replaced the radiator I was surprised that it's marginally greater thickness means that the fan/clutch won't clear the radiator - I was okay with that and decided to go with a modern shroud and flat electric fan. For others that may have done this, what have you done for a sensor to trigger the fans? I presume that L69HO engine had something in there originally for the factory installed electric fan to operate but don't know if that is still there or not.

I did find what looks like a temperature probe and a rheostat-looking device in the front left corner of the engine compartment. Not sure if this was part of the factory setup or something else...any other 84/85 owners have this or recognize it?

probe1.jpg

Thanks for any tips/thoughts -

This is what I use. http://derale.com/products/electric-fans/fan-controllers/adjustable/7-25-standard-thermal-fan-clutch2013-10-18-11-52-51789251222-detail

The item you show looks like a thermal probe but it won't go into an engine nor fit into the radiator fins like most so I suspect it was held by a bracket close to the radiator in the exit air flow.

The one I showed you screws into the intake or head, my choice, and not between the radiator fins. I like it located in the head.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything with the one you have except remove it and send it to it's final resting place. Tape off the wires to look good and use a newer version. If you go with the one I mentioned, it can be automatically turned on when the A/C runs and also has a provision for a manual switch. I will be using both on my 74.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Thanks, Bob. I looked at the Derale unit and it has mixed reviews at Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-16749-Adjustable-Fan-Controller/product-reviews/B000CNAMMQ/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

So I am looking at a Ron Francis Unit like this one http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AR-67

Which seems to be similar in operation to the Derale unit.

I still wonder why i couldn't use the existing switch in the side of the block and wire it up as it was originally. Isn't that how the car was set up originally in '85 with the electric fan?

Thanks, Bob.

I still wonder why i couldn't use the existing switch in the side of the block and wire it up as it was originally. Isn't that how the car was set up originally in '85 with the electric fan?

Jim

I guess you can use what exists and hopefully someone with one will post an exact mounting location for the probe.

If it were mine however, I use a newer replacement. Why? Well, The old one is 30 years old give or take and I just don't like the inability to fit the probe into the engine. Nobody uses anything like that in the current OEM market, everything now is located where the probe can read the coolant temperature directly.

Will it work? Well it must have been OK back in the day as you don't see a lot of Avanti's on the side of the road with cooling issues :) . It's just that my SBC's would take a lot on money to replace so I'd like to give them the best chance I can to stay alive.

I did read the reviews that you posted and I guess if I had to do it over again I buy something else. However, Mine's installed and I do have a manual over ride. I also wired it so if it quits entirely, I can run a jumper to the fan relay to get it running.

JMHO, Bob

Edited by Avanti83

My 87 Avanti came with a v-belt fan and the only electric fans I've seen up to the 90's have been owner installed. Yours was possibly a factory option?

You can get a GM Fan Switch from Summit Racing in different settings this one is 195 on / 180 off.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jet-60600/overview/make/chevrolet

Use one that doesn't fight your thermostat setting, the one above wouldn't work with a 195 thermostat because it wouldn't allow the thermostat to open fully.

A bosch relay, fuses and add the A/C to the system so the fan powers on when the A/C is on and your set. Why do you need an adjustable fan controller? Just something else to go wrong.

I may have a wiring diagram somewhere if you need one.

Good luck,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Tim Ingle (via the AOAI Facebook page) posted the attached picture of his '85 confirming this was a factory install:

Interesting setup, and maybe normal for the 80s, but not for today.

I ended up using a radiator/electric fan/shroud similar to what Bob has used, but decided to go with this fan controller:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-ar67

Mostly because of the variable control and A/C switch - engine cooling in Houston is nothing to screw around with, at least this time of year.

post-9533-0-49618400-1406473877_thumb.jpg