1963 Avanti at Barrett-Jackson

GAWen

Thanks, the price did not show up for me when I clicked on the link. Perhaps one has to be registered with them to get the price. I know that some sites work that way (I believe that Mecum does).

Edited by studegary

That Avanti was restored by Nemesh Solanki and sold with an R3 engine. Someone took out the R3 drivetrain and installed a SBC, then tried to recover what they initially paid for the car. Probably a nicely done car, but why didn't they put another Stude engine back in?

• 1 month later...

Nit-picks:

• I haven't yet found a comparison of Studebaker 289 and SBC engine dimensions to know exactly why the SBC requires the nose to be shimmed up like that. The oil pan?
  • No windshield sprayer. Was that an optional item?
  • No rubber strip over the firewall.

The small block chev is narrower and taller. The stude V/8 is wider and a bit shorter. The intake manifold design on each also has a lot of bearing on this too, on the stude the manifold is below the top of the valve covers. On the Chev the intake sits above the top of the valve covers. Lou Cote

Nit-picks:

• I haven't yet found a comparison of Studebaker 289 and SBC engine dimensions to know exactly why the SBC requires the nose to be shimmed up like that. The oil pan?
  • No windshield sprayer. Was that an optional item?
  • No rubber strip over the firewall.

Its due to the oil pan. It is very close to the steering arm, so the motor needs to be tilted and the body should be shimmed to make it fit.

Chevy's will fit without shimming the body if you use the right parts........The reason this Avanti's nose was shimmed is probably because of Solanski's R3 Studebaker engine that used to reside in its engine compartment.......Studebaker had to do the same shimming on the dozen or so R3 Avantis which they sold.

That Avanti was restored by Nemesh Solanki and sold with an R3 engine. Someone took out the R3 drivetrain and installed a SBC, then tried to recover what they initially paid for the car. Probably a nicely done car, but why didn't they put another Stude engine back in?

I don't recall if it's a matter of public record what the car sold for with the R3+ Nimesh built. IIRC, he was initially asking $100,000 and IMHO, it was worth every penny. That it sold at auction for $28,500 means someone thought the engine and transmission was worth about $70,000 or that no modified Avanti is a $100K car in today's market.and Nimesh took a much lower offer.

jack vines.

Chevy's will fit without shimming the body if you use the right parts.

Agree ^^^^^. The first point of interference is usually the front crankshaft pulley with the bellcrank assembly. Chevy made a ton of different diameter crankshaft pulleys so one needs to chose the one that gives clearance. Remember to match the other pulleys, particularly the water pump with the CS pulley.

The other point of interference is the oil pan to bellcrank steering assembly. Again, Chevy has a wide variety of dimensions for the front of the oil pan. One could use a hammer but I just find the pan I need at a swap meet or parts supplier and move on.

Of course the other issue is the drivers side exhaust manifold but that's been beat to death.

I don't recall if it's a matter of public record what the car sold for with the R3+ Nimesh built. IIRC, he was initially asking $100,000 and IMHO, it was worth every penny. That it sold at auction for $28,500 means someone thought the engine and transmission was worth about $70,000 or that no modified Avanti is a $100K car in today's market.and Nimesh took a much lower offer.

jack vines.

I'd go with possibility # 2....As desireable as owning a real R3 engine would be to a Stude nut,....I doubt if anyone thinks one is worth 70K!!!

I'd go with possibility # 2....As desireable as owning a real R3 engine would be to a Stude nut,....I doubt if anyone thinks one is worth 70K!!!

IIRC, that R3 engine was not a restoration, but a professionally built modified engine with considerably more than stock horsepower. Worth more to some; less to others.

jack vines

I also think this is the Avanti that Nimish sold without the R3 engine for less than his original asking price. That is probably why someone put a Chevy engine in the car.

Maybe try again or use a different device to view the link? I see it marked SOLD and the price being $28.5k also. The car looks beautiful, but I can see folks sitting on their wallets for a '63/'64 with a GM drivetrain. I believe that would be called an Avaniti II and nobody's going to pay that kind of money. The original Corvette drivetrain was a hamster wheel compared to some other cars, but that's what I'd want if I was looking to buy a perfect first year one for top dollar.

Agree ^^^^^. The first point of interference is usually the front crankshaft pulley with the bellcrank assembly. Chevy made a ton of different diameter crankshaft pulleys so one needs to chose the one that gives clearance. Remember to match the other pulleys, particularly the water pump with the CS pulley.

The other point of interference is the oil pan to bellcrank steering assembly. Again, Chevy has a wide variety of dimensions for the front of the oil pan. One could use a hammer but I just find the pan I need at a swap meet or parts supplier and move on.

Of course the other issue is the drivers side exhaust manifold but that's been beat to death.

The SBC was used in '65-'66 sedans,apparently without pulley or pan issues. The frame and bellcrank should be the same as the Avanti. Does anyone know how they accomplished this?

The SBC was used in '65-'66 sedans,apparently without pulley or pan issues. The frame and bellcrank should be the same as the Avanti. Does anyone know how they accomplished this?

The sedans have a much higher hood line than the Avanti.

FWIW, there's always been discussion as to whether the shimming of the body was to accomodate the SBC or because the Altmans thought the original design had too much forward rake and would sell better if it appeared more sedan-like.

Another FWIW, much taller engines than the SBC have been installed in the '63-64s, Olds and Cadillac come to mind.

jack vines

To me, an Avanti isn't an Avanti without the original forward 'rake'......As great a car as my '83 Avanti has been as a daily driver for 22 years, I still cringe when I look at it in profile, with the body sitting level on the frame, and the frame itself slightly exposed!

I see two ways to solve this annoyance.

1) Sell the car.

2) Modify the car to sit to your liking.

or....3) Just don't look at the car in profile, and keep enjoying this 'year round driver' for another 22 years!!