Avanti deviation - Black instrument panel, console and steering wheel

Jaehnert Floyd

I am the current owner of 1963 Avanti serial #4716 which is one of the Avanti's indentified in issue 171 Summer/Fall magazine as one of the cars with all black interior panels. This car has black upholstry and a all black steering wheel but the instrument and console panels are fawn colored. The instrument panel has been repainted (obvious brush marks) but the console looks like it could be factory paint. Anyone have some history or knowledge of this particular vehicle. The previous owner was Jerry Horne of Union IL. Floyd Jaehnert

This is a deviation that has been documented. The factory was having problems with the adhesive used to hold the woograin panels in place. There will be a full discussion of this in The Authenticity Manual that will be available for order in the next issue of Avanti Magazine. Stay Tuned!

Edited by abasile

on a related note, I have R4551 which came from the factory with the 813BKV option. It has the round console knobs, the woodgrain overlays, woodgrain steering wheel, black upholstery, dash and carpet. The anomoly is that the steering column is black not brown like the 64s. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your comments, However the issue is why my Avanti #4716 which according to the article in Avanti Magazine # 171 should be all black paneling has fawn colored panels. The steering wheel is black (not painted over wood grain) and the upholstery is all black. Does anyone know who owned this car prior to Jerry Horne. Floyd ;

I would guess the black paint on the original panels peeled and looked bad and a previous owner installed the fawn colored panels. There are many Avantis out there with mismatched and completely incorrect interior panels and other modifications...I think yours is more or less minor in comparison to some.

Back in the day these were simply used cars and owners did many modifications...professional appearing and otherwise...without any consideration to future collectability or value. That's not limited to Avantis, either. One of the toughest things when trying to correct or restore many cars is undo what past owners have done before it can be done correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

I thank you all for your replies however, I still don't know which way to go. I suppose finding the original owner or a subsequent owner to find out how it came from the factory would be a miracle. Changing the instrument panel to black would be a real project so it would be a must to know it came from the factory that way. The other panels would be fairly easy to change. Floyd