1989 donor car VIN number

GarageHawk

Does anyone know where I can find the original VIN number of the 1989 Chevy Caprice "donor" car used to build my 1989 Avanti? I believe it should be stamped somewhere on the frame. The serial number portion of the VIN should be stamped on the engine block but I need the entire VIN.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by a wise Avanti collector to look in the area of where the air cleaner is. Maybe even under the air cleaner lid. My understanding is you are looking for the original GM number that is on your 89 Avanti, right? LMK how you made out.

Get the stamped Serial # part off of the passenger side engine deck behind the alternator or from the side of the transmission. The rest of the VIN can be build from standard Caprice info.

Jim Wood

I didn't see anything on or around the air cleaner and the engine block stamping can't be seen on my car because the mounting brackets for the AC compressor and serpentine belt tensioner are mounted directly over the top of it. I'd have to remove the AC compressor to be able to see it.

The serial number on the transmission could be an option but I have found that recreating the remainder of the Chevy Caprice VIN is problematic due to discrepancies in available information and other missing info. For example, the 11th digit is a code for the assembly plant. I can't seem to find what GM plant made the 1989 Caprice. Also, the 9th digit is a "Check Digit" that is calculated from a special formula and derived from the sum of coded numerical values assigned to alpha characters of the other 10 digits, (not easy to do if you don't know the other 10 digits with absolute certainty).

I am told that all GM cars have a "hidden" VIN stamped into the frame somewhere. The location can change from model to model and year to year.

Bill

I work with VIN's every day, all you need is the last 8 digits to get all the info on the vehicle. If you can get me the last 6 to 8 digits I can get you the full VIN. The block on the passenger side front extends from under the head and the digits may be stamped there, mine were not. I got mine off of the transmission body on a side boss above the transmission pan.

Jim Wood