Rearview Relocation

mfg

When relocating a Studebaker Avanti's 'low mount' rearview mirror to a spot nearer the top of the windshield, Studebaker recommended it be re-located 4" down from the upper windshield weatherseal....True?

Interesting. Stan Gundry's 1983 "What the shop manual won't tell you" quotes Jon Meyer referring to a factory bulletin saying it, "could be centered 4" below the top edge of the windshield". Not so, or is it the word weatherseal that is the catch?

Edited by GlennW

Factory Bulletin #F-1964-7, dated January 29, 1964 gives the procedure. Instruction 6 states "Locate and mark a spot on the outside of the windshield that is on the vertical centerline of the glass and 3 1/2 inches downward from the upper windshield weather seal."

I guess whether 3 1/2 or 4 inches is correct depends on whether you measure from the weather seal or the top edge of the glass itself. It probably works out to the same location on the glass.

Factory Bulletin #F-1964-7, dated January 29, 1964 gives the procedure. Instruction 6 states "Locate and mark a spot on the outside of the windshield that is on the vertical centerline of the glass and 3 1/2 inches downward from the upper windshield weather seal."

I guess whether 3 1/2 or 4 inches is correct depends on whether you measure from the weather seal or the top edge of the glass itself. It probably works out to the same location on the glass.

Thanks, and I agree completely. I only brought it up because sometimes half the fun of the triva quizzes are borderline nitpicking on small details, BUT I learn a lot from it.

Moving the rearview mirror up definitely helps visibility to the rear. The only negative I can think of is losing the uniqueness of that small, low mounted factory mirror that folks always seem to notice and comment on at car events. I've left the rearview mirror on my own '63 Avanti mounted down low...and rely on the twin Avanti fender mounted mirrors for rear visibility. Of course, if I was driving the car every day I'd definitely move it up.

My 76 has the mirror mounted low, but the day/night mirror is twice as wide as the 63 and 64 mirror, so I've left it in that position.