Good how-to book on painting a fiberglass car?

kellyavanti

My '63 R-1 is in dire need of paint, and I'm going to do it myself. It's already far from original, and just doesn't need a museum quality paint job.

I've painted a few cars, and they have all turned out pretty well, but I have never painted a 'glass car. Just wondered if anyone could recommend a good book on the subject.

Thanks in advance, Kelly

So, after perusing the Corvette forum, I'm as confused as ever. Guys recommended chemical strippers (aircraft and non-aircraft), sanding, or using RAZOR blades. eek.

Did Avantis have lacquer paint originally? Sounds like the razor blade method method works only on lacquer...

What is the experience of folks here?

Avantis were originally painted by acrylic lacquer...by Studebaker and Avanti Motors until the Steve Blake era. When my Avanti was painted the shop used chemical strippers but it had at least one repaint from before I owned it and I've no idea what kind of paint what used. It was taken down to bare fiberglass so appropriate repairs could be made where necessary.

While I'm no authority on it, my own impression is that whatever method is used depends more on the quality of workmanship and procedure than the method itself.

My opinion....If doing the work yourself, buy one gallon of a good quality paint stripper at an auto body supply store. It does not necessarily have to be for fiberglass. Strip one panel at at time..ONLY. Let the chemical do its thing, and then scrape the bubbled paint off with a plastic squeege. A second coat may be required...then scrape again and then (IMPORTANT) Flush..Flush..Flush the stripped panel off with cold water until ALL the stripper has been removed...then let dry in the sunlight (if possible). Then sand the panel with a 'DA' sander using '180' grit sandpaper. Do any necessary body repairs, and prime. ALSO...pushing out the windshield and the back glass is a MUST on Avantis. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. Why would removing the glass be a must? I need to do it anyway, because the rubber is tatty, just wondered why it was a MUST?

." ALSO...pushing out the windshield and the back glass is a MUST on Avantis. "

Hi..

You will find it will turn out to be a much better job with the glass and weather-seals out. Otherwise you have to just mask to the edge of the seal leaving a ragged edge and as the rubbers shrink the edge will show worse!

A good bit of work to do so.. But worth every bit of it with the results..

Ron