Looking for Bosch motor/trans for GOLDE Avanti II sunroof

Raymond Compton

In the time that I have owned the car, the sunroof motor never had enough torque to open/close the panel. Thinking that the problem was a partially burned out motor, I removed the motor/transmission assembly. What I found was that a long time ago, someone had removed the motor and did not understand how it was fastened to the cable track. They broke the case before discovering the two well hidden screws. The case seems to be repaired with JB Weld and function OK but looking really bad. Dan Booth now has this assembly to see what his "electric motor guy" can do with it.

Meanwhile, I am looking for a replacement. The car is a 1974 and the sunroof motor transmission is essentially a one piece assembly. I have seen the motors, as used on many cars of the era, from Mercedes to Cougar to Rivieras, on eBay but they seem to be detached from the transmission. The Cougar, for example, has a short drive shaft between the motor and transmission.

Does anyone have one of these motor/transmissions to sell or know of which cars used the joined motor/trans configuration?

Thanks all.

To "Silverstude", unfortunately, according to Dan Booth, they did reinvent the wheel with several different versions of the motor/transmission configuration.

to "Paul K" I will get my still broken and dying motor/transmission assembly back from Dan Booth tomorrow, according to UPS. I will try to post a picture by the weekend. We have had snow most days here in rural central Utah and it takes about four hours for my wife and I to clear our long driveway.

I just received my sunroof motor/transmission assembly back from Dan Booth. His guy could do nothing to repair it. I have taken some pictures of the assembly and posted them here in the hope that someone has a similar one or recognizes this style from another application. We know these two things about Avanti Motors, one, they used components that were available, off the shelf, and two, when that supply was used, they would use the next available similar part.

post-9418-0-38067300-1454607531_thumb.jpg

post-9418-0-71637900-1454607533_thumb.jpg

post-9418-0-00816100-1454607536_thumb.jpg

This looks as though it is a match for your motor & transmission... but it's expensive and has a lot of watchers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-73-Cougar-Thunderbird-BMW-and-others-ASC-sunroof-motor-one-piece-design-/371172210839?hash=item566b967897:g:2UMAAOSwr81USnnl&vxp=mtr

You could make an offer. If you don't get it, at least you know what you are looking for.

As a last resort, some plating shops that specialize in plating parts for older cars may have the ability to repair pot metal and aluminum castings (but that won't be cheap, either).

Edited by WayneC

You are right, that looks to be the same. The output spur gear looks to be smaller though that may be an illusion. I got mine cleaned and lubed though when I put it back in, the JB Weld threads in the mounting holes failed and the motor/trans fell off the ceiling of the car. Soooo... Rather than JB Weld it back in, as it was before, I just went ahead and bought the eBay motor. I don't think it was all that expensive. The motor alone I have seen in that price range when the offer was aimed at Mercedes/BMW folk. Should have it by the end of the week and will post the results.

Yahoo! Success! I bought the motor/gearbox that was listed on eBay. The output gear was, in fact smaller than mine. Examination shows that the larger gear is most likely pressed on to the smaller gear. I tried prying mine of the shaft and it did not come off. Rather than risk damage, I removed the gear from the "new" gearbox and installed mine. I also swapped motors in the hope that mine would function and avoid having to change or splice in the correct power plug. It all went together smoothly and I installed the assembly this morning. The sunroof now opens and closes properly.

In the end, I only used the gearbox case from the Cougar application. Here are pictures of the two assemblies with the broken one on the right. Note the screwdriver on the right hand screw that attaches the gear box to the cable track. Thiese two screws are hidden under the center, curved, cable guide that is seen lifted up in the picture.

post-9418-0-90983400-1455214645_thumb.jpg

post-9418-0-88363100-1455214647_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the photos you attached are much too small, so not helpful in trying to understand what you did to adapt the motor/gearbox.

Edited by WayneC

These are the biggest pictures that the web site will allow me to upload. It, in fact, limited me to two pictures and would not accept the third in this series. Right now, it would only allow me to upload a file of 57kb, much smaller than even these pictures. Is there something that I am missing in the upload process?

I did not adapt anything. I just substituted my motor and driven brass/steel gear. Or the other way of looking at it, I replaced only my broken gear housing with the good one from the eBay purchase. An expensive project considering that I only needed and used the gear case but well worth it as I have been looking for the proper gear case for four years and this was the first one that I have seen for sale. Getting the sunroof to operate properly is my last major project on the car.

I haven't posted a photo here in several years, yet I don't recall the size limit being as low as 57kb; but, I was able to duplicate the method you used to post those thumbnail photos (see method 2, below).

Method 1: I'll try simply plopping a photo into my reply right below here:

71Avantibatterybox_zps5640a41d.jpg

Method 2: Here is what a photo loaded to the reply using the "More reply options", then "Browse", then "Attach This File" looks like (turns out to be just a thumbnail, as your post was, even though the photo is larger):

post-308-0-31831500-1455347351_thumb.jpg

But notice that if you right-click on that thumbnail, you'll see the full image as it existed on my disk (larger than a thumbnail, but not a BIG photo, simply because the photo I chose was 864x578 pixels, or 65kb);

when I did that with your photos, the right-clicked images presented were the same size as your thumbnails.

Method 3: subscribe to a photo album posting website such as photobucket or shutterfly (there are others) and upload the photo to that website, then post a link to the photo on the photo-hosting website, like this one:

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/waynecpb/Avantisunroofmotor_zpsf362c7c2.jpg

Edited by WayneC