Does anyone know a source for an exact match for the tan leather used in 1989 Avantis? I have not been able to locate anyone who stocks the exact color. I have found a couple vendors who claim to be able to custom dye hides to the exact color, texture and sheen from a sample I would provide. The custom leather is pricey but it would still be cheaper than re-doing the entire interior. If I decide to go for the custom dyed leather, is there anyone else looking for the tan Avanti leather? It might save some money if we pooled our purchase.

Also, I just had the convertible top replaced. The top came from Electron Top Manufacturing Co. Part # 5030. It was a perfect match for color and fit. It was installed by Blazing Auto Trim in Denver, CO. Very professional, high quality job.

Bill

For upholstery, try SMS Upholstery http://www.smsautofabrics.com. You can send them a sample of your leather and see if they can match it.

When I wanted to have the interior of my '70 redone, the upholstery shop need up going to an aircraft upholstery supplier for a match. What you want is likely out there, just don't expect to find it immediately.

Actually, I tried SMS. They sent two samples, one was very close on the color but the grain and sheen were wrong. The other sample had the correct grain but the color wasn't close enough to be used next to the original leather. We've tried at lease a half dozen other companies but no luck. Avanti had to buy the hides from somewhere and I doubt they had them custom dyed but I sure can't find a match. I don't think my interior has changed color with age since the leather owner's manual pouch and trimmings from under the seats still match the seats perfectly.

I cannot say with any certainty, but Avanti Motors colored the dashes to match the interior so it's at least possible they dyed the leathers as well. They claimed they had four hundred different interior vinyls, leathers and fabrics available so, either they had a lot of suppliers to supply what they required or possibly they did some dyeing of product.

It makes one wonder whether any sales catalogs of leathers, fabrics and vinyls exist anywhere. If so, there could be not just names of colors and patterns but maybe even the vendors for each.

Avanti Motors was a real mixture of methods and parts. It would take finding some documentation which may or may not exist or someone still living who was there to answer a lot of these questions.

Edited by Gunslinger

I think you're right. That could also mean that my tan may or may not be the same color as another 1989 tan interior. Too bad we don't have a former employee on the forum. Or do we? Wouldn't that be a great resource!

It also...at least allegedly...wasn't unknown for Avanti Motors to use fabrics, leathers or whatever that a customer would supply themselves. That means any vinyls or leather could be furniture grade rather than from an automobile upholstery supplier. That really opens up the number of possible sources to search for a match.

• 1 month later...