Headlights for a '63

TMA62

I will be replacing the headlights for my '63 (one is burned out). The originals are 6012's.

Any advice on what I should use to replace them with? What brands and models are out there now?

Halogen or non-Halogen? Thanks in advance!

The current direct replacement would be 6014 bulbs. Halogen lights are good but a lot depends on the condition of your wiring, headlight relay and alternator. They take a bit more power which might tax your electrical system...probably not but might.

The real issue is that Avantis have always had somewhat weak headlights and the kind of headlight doesn't much help regardless.

I wonder if there is a direct replacement LED headlight, such as the one from TruckLite, that would fit? These new units use less power and provide more light output. While the appearance is not the same as an incandescent, I think the 'far out' look would be in keeping with the Avanti's cutting edge design.

I wonder if there is a direct replacement LED headlight, such as the one from TruckLite, that would fit? These new units use less power and provide more light output. While the appearance is not the same as an incandescent, I think the 'far out' look would be in keeping with the Avanti's cutting edge design.

Look up Watsons-StreetWorks.com They sell a LED Headlight kit for $229.00

I have not used it. But It looks to be the same size as the Xenon Headlights I have in my car presently

John

Be really careful that the replacement headlight does not stick out from the stainless mounting ring further than originals. you must maintain room for the glass headlight covers to clear. Many LED headlights will not clear the lens.

Be really careful that the replacement headlight does not stick out from the stainless mounting ring further than originals. you must maintain room for the glass headlight covers to clear. Many LED headlights will not clear the lens.

Brad makes a very good point. Soooooo, if you have an interest in the Watsons Street Rod LED's, but not sure they will fit, ( Ithink they will ), I'd call Watson's and ask if they have a non functioning LED headlight that you could "borrow" for the cost of the outbound and return shipping, to test fit. The worst they can say is no.

John

Brad makes a very good point. Soooooo, if you have an interest in the Watsons Street Rod LED's, but not sure they will fit, ( Ithink they will ), I'd call Watson's and ask if they have a non functioning LED headlight that you could "borrow" for the cost of the outbound and return shipping, to test fit. The worst they can say is no.

John

Excellent idea, I hope it pans out as I'm interested in those headlights also. Bob