If '63 Avantis Could Talk!!

mfg

This one would have quite a tale to tell!!...there's a '63 Avanti just listed on e-bay. (auction #281786512348) Basically, its Texas owner describes it as an R2 with R3 external parts, 4 speed trans, and manual windows (although he honestly says the car originally had power windows.)

Although the serial number isn't listed in the ad, I believe it's Avanti serial # 63R-3623, body # 63R 5109.

I'm '95%' sure this is my very first Studebaker Avanti....a car which I sold in 1976!!

Would anyone out there with an e-bay account ask the owner to post the serial #?...I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

If this car is indeed my first Avanti, when I sold it it was in good shape,...and originally was an R2 AUTOMATIC car, with power steering and power windows.

When new, this Avanti was 'Avanti White' with the red & fawn 'regal' interior.

Not positive here, but.....??????????????????

Edited by mfg

According to the ad it has R1 block - "The Block Serial Number is R1456"

"I don't know if it is an E2 from the factory. The parts are repos. The car's serial number which I failed to include, is R3623"

So I guess you got it right.

Edited by 64studeavanti

64 studeavanti.....Thank you very much for finding out the serial number of that Avanti....no question about it now....it is INDEED my first Avanti..(which, to me anyway, is kind of COOL!!)

About the engine....the car itself is/was definitely a factory R2/automatic...but when I purchased the car, probably around 1973, the engine in it was a factory replacement Studebaker engine.

I assume it was a 289, but I never really checked that out. There was NO serial number on the short block...the machined pad was blank.

All the supercharger parts were in the trunk when I purchased this car....although I did have to locate and buy a correct sealed AFB carb.

Apparently, the engine that was in 63R-3623 when I sold it is long gone.

About the manual window doors....I can understand why the power window doors were replaced....because even back in the mid seventies the fiberglass was badly craked and broken up around the door hinges...both sides...the original doors on this Avanti were the worst I've ever seen....almost like someone jumped on them on purpose to break them off!!!!!.....Yes, I can definitely understand why those original L&R doors were replaced....I'm sure it's a better car without them!

Don't know who added the R3 parts and converted the car to a four speed....but I like those changes...the manual windows too..of course!!!!

To tell you the truth, this Avanti has led a rough life....but i still think it has a lot of potential, and I really hope it finds a good home!

Thanks again 64studeavanti!.....Ed

I think its amazing there are still the number of 63's and 64's still on the road. Many new Avanti's were not babied by the original owners. In horse talk, they were rode hard and put away wet. As a 17 year old buying a 2 year old 64 Avanti R1 in 1966, I ran the living hell out of that car. I'm sure that I was like a lot of other Avanti owners that didn't appreciate what a rare car they had.

I think plwindish makes a good point! Some Studebaker Avantis were babied by their original and subsequent owners....and these beautys are occasionally seen today at auto shows or for sale on e-bay.....and we marvel at their fine condition.

But it seems like the majority of Studebaker Avantis, especially the supercharged jobs like 63R-3623, were pushed real hard from day one....and today need a heck of a lot of work to return them to anywhere near original condition.

I suppose that's also true for Mustangs, Corvettes, and other 'sixties' Hi-Po cars

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...