Does anyone have any knowledge of this Avanti wood sculpture?...

Gunslinger

I purchased this wood Avanti sculpture earlier this year at the York swap meet. I gave $65 for it. The seller didn't have any information on who made it, where or when it was made, whether it was a one-off or a production piece. I had never seen one and thought it was pretty neat. Now I see an identical one on eBay where the seller is asking $320 for it! As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth that kind of money (but if someone offered me that much for mine I'd ask "Do you want it gift wrapped?").

I asked the eBay seller if he had any information and he had none. Are they that rare?

Does anyone here have any information on these...history, time period, etc. I'd like to know something about them.

P1090676_zps690226f4.jpg

P1090677_zpsf5c0418a.jpg

I vaguely remember seeing something like this advertised in Turning Wheels in the 80's. I think from Brazil, or some other South American country.

I have no copies of Turning Wheels from that time period but I do have copies of Avanti Magazine from then. I wonder if they may have been advertised there? I'll have to start looking through old issues.

I checked issue 122...not the same thing but very similar. The scale is different and mine is all wood...no chrome, windows or details added. It could be a more mass produced item from the same vendor but I'm still stuck in neutral on this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all.... I purchased one very similar on eBay a few years back from somebody from Canada. I don't think I paid too much for it, certainly less than $100.00 as I know I woiuld not have paid more than this, probably more like $50 or $60. At any rate, the bottom is marked with the following informatioin: JS Woodcraft, 705-526-4040, WoodencarsGsymataco.ca. May be the same wood carver.

I would add photo's if I can figure out how :(