ASR Sunroof repairs/parts

boogieman

Seems there is a shortage of info on the sunroofs in our cars.

I found a guy yesterday that has extensive knowledge and experience with these sunroofs.

I had him make the body seal that goes around the front and sides of the sunroof,

between the roof edges and front and sides in the closed position.

He has the parts and knows where to get parts for the ASR sunroofs, drive cables, motors,

seals, etc..

He says these same units are still being used by Mercedes as he has worked on them.

Contact info is:

Nicholas

972-841-3869

Located in Grand Prairie Texas, between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Possibly this info can be archived for everyone's benefit.

• 3 weeks later...

Sky-top roofs were originally manufactured in St. Louis, Mo. They provided a lot of the sunroofs directly to Avanti. My 84 had a Sky-top roof, I am not sure when they discontinued using these in Avantis. Ernie retired and sold the business to Midwest Metal Fabrication of New Haven, Missouri in late 1991. They are somehow associated with Wenning Enterprises which has a website. They are located at 201 E Industrial Dr New Haven, MO , 63068

573-237-5500

I talked to them earlier this year and they indicated they still make and supply parts for the roofs but no longer repair them.

They indicated that the son of the former skytops parts supplier also located in St. louis, Auto Air Company now has a repair shop in Union Missouri and will repair these. I have misplaced his name and number but calling Midwest should provide that information.

I also know that Dan Booth has parts for Sky-tops.

Edited by unclemiltie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi.  I just bought a 1985 Avanti and the Sunroof is in disrepair (tree branch hit it and it got dislocated in one corner).  I'm considering removing current system and installing a moonroof.  Has anyone done a similar swap and what are your suggestions on this matter?  Vehicle has original 62k miles with the 305 HO.  Most likely will upgrade to a 350 or 383 later this year.

I will also be needing a complete interior (dash, interior panels and seat replacement or reupholstering).  Any suppliers and experiences you  can share are equally appreciated.

Raul

Miami, FL

• 2 months later...

I've always understood a sun roof is a solid part of the roof that retracts or a canvas screen that does the same.  A moon roof is a smoked color window in the roof that retracts.  I could be wrong but that's my long-term understanding.  You can also have a fixed moon roof as well...my Ford Explorer has both a retracting moon roof over the driver and passenger and a fixed one over the second seat.  

• 1 year later...

I was the national account manager for Skytop.  I not only signed franchisees but trained them as well.  I also had a shop in Norwalk, CT.  We had the distinction of being the only shop able to install power moonroofs in Maserati Biturbo's. Anyway I am located north of Boston not really in the sunroof business anymore but if you have an Avanti with a Skytop there is a very good chance I can repair it and have the facilities to fabricate parts.  To address an earlier comment, in the trade a moonroof is a glass panel and a sunroof is metal.

• 1 month later...

Biggest cause for consternation I've seen regarding '70's-'80's Avanti moonroofs is the entire assembly breaking away from underside of fiberglass roof panel as factory bonding agent weakens and releases over the years, due to sun's heat and road vibrations.......Moonroof assy drops causing all sorts of bad issues!:(

• 6 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 10:16 PM, The Inventor said:

I was the national account manager for Skytop.  I not only signed franchisees but trained them as well.  I also had a shop in Norwalk, CT.  We had the distinction of being the only shop able to install power moonroofs in Maserati Biturbo's. Anyway I am located north of Boston not really in the sunroof business anymore but if you have an Avanti with a Skytop there is a very good chance I can repair it and have the facilities to fabricate parts.  To address an earlier comment, in the trade a moonroof is a glass panel and a sunroof is metal.

Hi again.  I'm wondering if you have any of the SkyTop weatherseal for the front?  Its a fuzzy one that wraps around the two sides and the front.  I have a new rear one but cannot so far locate the front one.  If you do not have this, would you maybe know how to find it?  was there a manufacturer for it or was it used in other more mainstream cars that may have more easily available parts?  Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:16 PM, The Inventor said:

Oh boy, could I certainly use recent contact with you? My '85 needs help in the moonroof department and I'd like to go through the trouble to repair and save/keep it.

I'd also like some advice from the community, re: headliner. All I've seen for sale say, "For cars without sunroofs." Since I have one, should I buy the full headliner and just 'X-Acto' out the part I don't need? Maybe get cute with it by folding over and stitching a seam?

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving an old topic.

My 1980's moon roof glass is broken.. not just cracked.. and leaking ,despite flex seal and duct tape. It had already been glued shut with silicone, so I don't even know if the motor works, or what shape the rails, drain tubes, and the bonding to the body are. The replacement glasses I have found are all different sizes than mine, so I'm considering deleting it all together.

Nostalgic will sell and entire roof panel, but it's a massive job. I am considering removing the entire moon roof assembly and just closing the opening with fiberglass. Has anyone done this, and can you give advice?

2 hours ago, Ron Dame said:

I'm reviving an old topic.

My 1980's moon roof glass is broken.. not just cracked.. and leaking ,despite flex seal and duct tape. It had already been glued shut with silicone, so I don't even know if the motor works, or what shape the rails, drain tubes, and the bonding to the body are. The replacement glasses I have found are all different sizes than mine, so I'm considering deleting it all together.

Nostalgic will sell and entire roof panel, but it's a massive job. I am considering removing the entire moon roof assembly and just closing the opening with fiberglass. Has anyone done this, and can you give advice?

Are you sure that everyone is measuring the same way you are? I have seen several that are all the same size. What is the measurement of the actual hole in the roof panel?

I’ve seen an Avanti converted from a moonroof to solid.  Unfortunately the owner passed away shortly after the conversion was done.  He owned the body shop that did the work…which looked flawless once completed.

If I remember correctly…he purchased a solid roof section from Dan Booth and the car roof was cut off and the new grafted on.  I don’t remember whether the headliner was custom done or stock Avanti parts replaced the original.

This was probably ten years ago…maybe more and I’ve no idea what happened to the car after his passing.  

What color was the car Gunslinger?  Mine was converted with a new roof panel. My car is white and was owned by Mike Valent who used to post here.  He passed away so I can’t ask any questions and Nostalgic doesn’t have any paperwork on it.  The conversion turned out very nice. Mke

Glassing isn't too difficult. It's tedious and there certainly are steps to be followed but today YouTube is full of cool information.
https://www.youtube.com/@easycompositestv
https://www.youtube.com/@tapplastics

These companies have some great videos posted on working with the resin materials.

On 3/31/2023 at 6:15 AM, Footer said:

What color was the car Gunslinger?  Mine was converted with a new roof panel. My car is white and was owned by Mike Valent who used to post here.  He passed away so I can’t ask any questions and Nostalgic doesn’t have any paperwork on it.  The conversion turned out very nice. Mke

It was a burnt orange 1985 Avanti if I remember.  I may have a photo or two of it on my laptop…will have to look later.

Here's photos of the Avanti I was talking about with the solid roof grafted on in place of the original with a sunroof.  It was 2010 and the owner passed away not too long after.

image.jpeg.af539d1aa934ff9bded7490575ab7c95.jpeg

image.jpeg.54b6ed5a1854dc58f9149721efd8b3bd.jpeg

image.jpeg.f88025a1356f3e68728cbc1a60224c0d.jpeg

The roof panel is removed at the same joints as factory installed. The roll cage in a non-moonroof car is near the underside of the roof panel. A sunroof car is approximately 3” lower than the underside of the roof panel to allow for the sunroof to slide back into the pocket. Installing the sunroof is simply cleaning the mounting joints from the original skin installation and fitting the new skin in place. These cars are composite fiberglass and a two part panel epoxy is used for bonding and structural strength.   Prepping and painting to finish the install. The interior would need some modifications near and around the roll bar to make everything look acceptable. 

It’s not a super hard job, but needs to be done by someone with talent. A jack of all trades so to say! 

Until 1979, I owned a Body Shop that specialized in fiberglass cars and boat repair, as well as I was an upholsterer for years.

Good luck!

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.  Is there a reason  the entire roof panel is replaced, rather that fitting in a section to replace the glass area? That seems like overkill, but what do I know?

I do have a glass on my way, my intent is to have a fixed glass moonroof, likely using windshield urethane adhesive as opposed to silicone which is known to fail. I'll remove much of the old assembly and make supports as needed before sealing the glass in place.  Is this an idea doomed for failure?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about anybody else, but the very instant I saw this picture, I thought: "Panoramic roof candidate!" As seen on new cars like some Benzes. Just lay in a large curved piece of Lexan / Plexiglass / Polycarbonate, tinted if you like, and let the light shine through.

IMG_1521.jpg