Sparks from ignition switch cylinder

64tbird

I picked up my '64 Studebaker Avanti R-2 from the mechanic It has a rebuilt starter, a rebuilt alternator, a new solenoid, as well as a rebuilt power brake booster, new front brake calipers, and multiple other repairs.

While I was driving home, I began to hear a whining sound coming from under the hood. I pulled over and stopped the car to look under the hood. As I removed the ignition key from the switch, I noticed the entire ignition key cylinder was loose and was jiggling around behind the instrument panel. Sparks began to fly from behind the dashboard in the area of the ignition key cylinder. I removed the key and when I tried to re-insert it, the sparks began again just as I touched the key to the cylinder but did not insert it.

I disconnected the battery and had the car towed home.

Today, with the battery disconnected, I fiddled with the ignition switch and the chrome retainer ring that holds it in place from the front of the instrument panel, and it seems I got it back into place so it isn't jiggling around loose.

Is it safe to re-connect the battery and try to start the car? I don't want to cause an electrical fire.

And what could the whining sound be? Someone suggested perhaps the loose ignition switch and crossed wires may have caused the starter to engage.

What do you Avanti experts make of this? Thank you for any suggestions.

The ignition switch bezel has a large spring which is engaged to hold the switch fast to the dash. It may be missing or misaligned which will allow the switch the looseness you describe. Do NOT reconnect the battery until you put your nose under the dash and see what's amiss.. The wires for the ignition are exposed and can be shorted out, explaining the sparks. Worse yet would be if they weren't tightened up enough to isolate them from each other. Your point about the starter spinning while engine's running can be a reality if the wires are loose. It's been a while since my rememberences but it would seem likely that of the engine was running and the starter engaged, you'd hear the starter Bendix and the flywheel ring gear arguing...

Thank you, Silverstude. I fiddled with the ignition switch as you recommended and I got the spring and the retainer aligned and now the switch seems to be securely in place and is not loose. I hope it stays that way. I re-connected the battery and started it and no more sparks. Thank you very much for your recommendations.

Now for the whining sound. Power steering? Supercharger? Belt(s)? It never ends.

If your switch has the original bezel (made of pot metal) it's best to replace it with one of the aluminum ones. The "ears" on the original tend to bend out & break suddenly, possibly causing a fire or the least, short out & burn the wire harness. The aluminum bezel is found at most of the Studebaker vendors.