Coker Mopar Wheels

JWL1940

R4541 is in dire need of new tires. The Continental P215x75-R15s were put on in 1984! Only 2000 miles on the tires but there is 32 years on the calendar. Although they look good and drive smoothly, I am looking at either Cooper or Hankook P205x75-R15 tires as replacements. The both come with a thin whitewall. Cost is also reasonable at about $70 per tire. Speciality tires in this size from Diamondback and Coker are about $250 each. I will do all five and forego the search for a compact spare.

The wheels are in bad need of refinishing. To do this will require dismounting the tires, media blasting them, and then priming and painting or power coating. This is a lot of work. Or, I can buy a brand new set of wheels from Coker. They are their Mopar standard 15" steel and 6" width. In addition they are powder coated. Price is $110 each plus shipping. I can get them for about 10% less with my HAMB Alliance discount. The new and wider wheels seem to me to be a better way to go.

Anyone, have experience with these wheels and Coker?

Thanks.

(o[]o)

Coker simply resells them...they're from Wheel Vintiques most likely and you can get them through sources like Summit Racing as well. Shop around for the best costs...and don't forget the appropriate lug nuts.

Coker is a good place to deal with.

Thanks for the info on Wheel Vintiques. I looked on their website, but did not see any that were power coated. I was told the Mopar wheels use the same size lug nuts as Studebaker, but the Ford wheels take a larger nut.

Anyone with experience with Cooper tires? Reading reviews, it seems there have been many tire failures. Reading reviews on Hankooks, the main complaint is they do not last the 70,000 mile advertised life. Right now I am favoring Hankook.

Thanks.

(o[]o)

I've been buying Coopers for quite a while and like them. They're generally the first tire I look for when replacing tires. Only once was I disappointed...they didn't last as long as expected...but that was on my daughter's car and who knows what they might have been subjected to?

Hankooks have good name...my new SUV has them but with only 1200 miles on it so far I can't give any really thought out review of them. I don't believe you'll be unhappy with Coopers.

You might also check out some of Pep Boys tires...most of theirs are made for them by Cooper...particularly their Definity line.

Gunslinger, thanks for the comments on the Cooper and Hankooks. I looked at Pep Boys and their Trendsetter line is made by Cooper. They also stock a Hankook that I am considering. I would go there, but their service and staff at the store near me leave much to be desired. Discount Tire also stocks the Hankooks, but they are a super busy store and I prefer a more personal type of service. The Lucas Tire store nearby has knowledgeable and experienced sales people and tire techs. I will probably go there.

Mike, I have sent you an e-mail.

If one corners hard, the 6" Ford or Mopar wheels will handle noticeably better, as the extra width braces the sidewalls.

If one is at all concerned with ride comfort, the 6" wheels are noticeably heavier than the 5" Stude wheels and the additional unsprung weight can be felt.

jack vines

Since you asked for experience with Cooper, I will give mine.

For about nine years (1990s), I worked for a large livery company. The sedans and limousines all received a lot of use, so time was not an issue on the tires. The original equipment tires lasted for a long time, usually a year on the sedans (60-65K miles). When the tires finally wore out, the company bought Coopers because they were the cheapest. The sedans were kept for about 200K miles. I never saw an entire set of Coopers wear out. Within months, at least one per set had a failure, usually tread separation, sometimes blow-out. This lack of reliability, over a large sample size, is what has kept me away from Coopers. I care more about safety than cost. I think that if the livery company took the short life of the Coopers into consideration, they would not be cheap.

I have not heard nor experienced anything bad about Hancooks.

On my own cars, I have GoodYears and I replace them by time due to low usage per year.

studegary, Thanks for sharing your Cooper experience. It jives with what I have read in the reviews, lots of tire failures. I have Hankooks on my 37 Packard. They are Diamondback WWWs. Very little mileage, but they have been smooth, and have good riding and handling (for a car of that vintage). The price of the Hankooks and Coopers I am looking at is the same.

PackardV8, Thanks. I understand about the added unsprung weight. I am a conservative driver and think the added wheel weight will not be much of a factor.

I'll keep you'll posted on what I decide.

Five new Mopar wheels have been ordered from Wheel Vintiques. Production for a new run of these wheels is scheduled for early September. I decided to go with WV rather than Coker as I would be dealing with the manufacturer and not an intermediate vendor. Price difference between the two was nil. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Dave Thiebault offers the 6" wide Ford wheel new and powdercoated in the correct Studebaker "white" at a competitive price. Powder Coating can be expensive and I found it to be cheaper to buy them already powdercoated and ready to install. I am very pleased with Dave's wheels. Support our vendors they are the life's blood of our Avanti community. Bob 63R3062

Bob, I fully agree with you to support the vendors dedicated to our Avantis. I have found Dan Booth (Nostalgic Motors), Ed Reynolds (Studebaker International), and Jon Myers (Myers Studebaker) to be knowledgeable, helpful, and able to provide the parts I have needed. I have not dealt with Dave Thiebault yet. I understand from reading about him from others that he is a rich resource. I first contacted Myers to see if he had any wheels. He recommended I get the Mopar wheels as these are the ones he uses. He recommended Coker as they had brand new ones listed and not to bother with used ones. Through this discussion thread I was pointed towards Wheel Vintiques, the manufactures of the wheels. I decided to go with them since they are the source of the wheels, same price, and I can deal directly with them and not a second party.

I have only been an Avanti owner for a a couple of months and learning about the community. I am impressed with the welcome and help I have found here and on the SDC site.

(o{}o)

Bob, I fully agree with you to support the vendors dedicated to our Avantis. I have found Dan Booth (Nostalgic Motors), Ed Reynolds (Studebaker International), and Jon Myers (Myers Studebaker) to be knowledgeable, helpful, and able to provide the parts I have needed. I have not dealt with Dave Thiebault yet. I understand from reading about him from others that he is a rich resource.

My brother and I have worked with Dave for over 20 years. Good guy and great resource.