Hello from Canada (newbie)

Canuck E

Hi folks.

I want to introduce myself. Im a 3rd generation car freak and I just turned 60. Been around cars all my life, plenty of Studes in my past. Never an Avanti but I've always wanted one, so the opportunity has come up and I'm trying to make a deal happen, so wish me luck!

The car im chasing is a 1979 Avanti II model. It needs a full going over but I'm hoping to pick away at it over the next year IF I can land it. Checked the hog troughs, passenger side good, (I'm told)drivers side a few small but patchable holes. Rest of it is so-so. Photo's to come later.

I would really like to buy a 63 Studebaker orig., just because I prefer the round eyes and the factory rake. Thats not in the cards money wise and I want a driver more than a sitter. Been going back and forth on a GT Hawk or Avanti and looks like the Avanti II is in the lead right now.

I'll be asking questions about lots of stuff and this looks like the right place!!

I have a few cars that I need to sell over the next few months to make room and free up some money to blow on the Avanti so it will be just parked 'till that happens.

As soon as it happens I'll post some pic's and hopefully get some pointers.

THanks for reading!

Edited by Canuck E

Welcome, Be sure to check the frame, particularly from behind the doors and over the rear axle. Check the rear cross-member also. It can be repaired with time and patience if not to bad. I'm salvaging a 74 currently with new hog troughs, rear cross member and some frame bottom sections.

Check the front suspension, parts are about $900 for a complete repair and paint is also pricey. No difference with the Hawk as they are basically the same car suspension wise.

SBC's and attendant parts and running gear are about as cheap as it gets. A lot of us have done tons of repair work so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Bob

Welcome. I have a '79 now. You do know there were only 175 made that year. Rare if not iconic and collectable.

Lots of info here. Good luck on landing that particular Avanti.

Where are you located in Canada?

Hi I'm in London Ontario area. The car is in Hamilton Ontario. Just a few blocks form the original Studebaker factory I'm told!

There is a reliable source that tells me of a warehouse in Hamilton full of New Old Stock parts. Many were original assembly line parts brought up from South Bend as well as the Studebaker Canada parts.

Thank you all!

The owner was able to get it out of its very tiny cluttered garage and loaded onto a flatbed for the 1st time in years on Friday. I have it dropped at a friend's shop now so we can drain the gastank and get the 350 fired up again. Had it fired for a moment off a gas can.

Bad news is it does have rust underneath. It came from Clearwater Florida then sat in a warehouse since 99. Where it was in its cramped garage i was able to get a look at the driver side hog trough which has a few small softt spots. Owner told me passenger side was much better.

He lied! But I had expected that. I'm no novice when it comes to dragging old cars out of barns. Always expect the worse and you won't be disappointed.

Pic's will follow

I remember seeing my 1st Avanti picture in 63. I didn't see a real one for at least another year if not 2. I was a car crazy kid of 8 yrs old and I knew that someday I would get around to having an Avanti. It took me til I was 60!

Welcome to the forum! I had a 64 with round headlights back in the day when I was in high school and college 66-69. I sold the Avanti and bought a 67 SS396 Chevelle. I never got over the Avanti, getting a 76 in Jan 2011 and an 89 convertible in November 2013. Good luck with getting the car.