POLL- Avanti Convertibles

unclemiltie

I have an 88 convertible and am curious if most owners of similar convertibles let the window zipped in when putting the top down or if they unzip it before putting the top down.

It is no longer easy for me to get in the back seat to unzip it that is for sure. I have mine currently unzipped but have put the top down with it zipped also.

Thanks

Milt

Milt, In the 1 1/2 yrs I've had my 89 convertible, I've never unzipped the window. In fact I never saw the zipper until the upholstery guy pointed it out last summer. It still has the original canvas top which looks in good shape and doesn't leak as far as I can tell. My upholstery guy did point out that the rear window had been replaced, showing me the stitching was crooked. The window has some scratches and is starting to slightly discolor, so I'll need to replace the window one of these days. Too bad they glass rear window like the Mustang was never used. It would have been much classier.

One annoying thing I have with the top is the front top lock on the drivers side. It will vibrate loose while driving down the road and can even pop loose on a bumpy road. It has come lose a couple of times on 294 around the Chicago area, making it fun driving and grabbing the lock handle trying to put the pin back in the hole at 70 mph! Only the drivers side will vibrate loose. I've gotten into the habit of periodically reaching above the visor and pushing the handle forward against the windshield frame to make sure it doesn't vibrate too far.

Milt, doesn't your 88 look like my 89 with the Avanti (Lamborghini) Red body, black leather interior and black top? I envy the trunk space you have in the 88 compared to my 89. My gas tank is under the trunk making the floor flat in the trunk and the spare with a huge carpeted tire cover taking up about half the space in the trunk.

Milt, In the 1 1/2 yrs I've had my 89 convertible, I've never unzipped the window. In fact I never saw the zipper until the upholstery guy pointed it out last summer. It still has the original canvas top which looks in good shape and doesn't leak as far as I can tell. My upholstery guy did point out that the rear window had been replaced, showing me the stitching was crooked. The window has some scratches and is starting to slightly discolor, so I'll need to replace the window one of these days. Too bad they glass rear window like the Mustang was never used. It would have been much classier.

One annoying thing I have with the top is the front top lock on the drivers side. It will vibrate loose while driving down the road and can even pop loose on a bumpy road. It has come lose a couple of times on 294 around the Chicago area, making it fun driving and grabbing the lock handle trying to put the pin back in the hole at 70 mph! Only the drivers side will vibrate loose. I've gotten into the habit of periodically reaching above the visor and pushing the handle forward against the windshield frame to make sure it doesn't vibrate too far.

Milt, doesn't your 88 look like my 89 with the Avanti (Lamborghini) Red body, black leather interior and black top? I envy the trunk space you have in the 88 compared to my 89. My gas tank is under the trunk making the floor flat in the trunk and the spare with a huge carpeted tire cover taking up about half the space in the trunk.

Yes, mine is like your 89

If you don't care to unzip the rear window, the next best thing is to stop the top when it is half way down and check to make sure the rear window is folding evenly and with no creases.

If you want to protect the flexible rear window from creasing, get one of these "pillows" that keep creasing from happening http://www.amazon.com/1956-1993-Corvette-Convertible-Top-Pillow/dp/B000BHR5DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434635798&sr=8-1&keywords=convertible+top+pillow.

I use one of these for my Corvette and it works just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1955 buick convertible and have owned convertibles in my younger days, all with the "plastic" window with zippers. I almost always unzip when putting the top down. Actually always with the '55. When younger with the '51 then the '60 I sometimes put the top down with the window zipped.

Reason for unzipping is two fold: keeps from creasing but 2) I now unzip and put a terrycloth towel under and over the window to prevent it from getting scratched when the top rubs on it when down. Have had the new top for 10 years now and no scratches, nice and clear. Of course, if it is to unhandy, then go ahead and leave it zipped as the canvas may not be as rough as the vinyl top I have.