LaPalma Show

schuyler

Yesterday my Avanti and I attended the LaPalma Studebaker show in Anaheim, Ca. It was put on by the Studebaker Drivers Club. Very nice event at a large grassy park with about 150 Studebakers in attendance. There were about 14 Avanti's. The majority were 63's and 64's. A very nice selection of R1, R2, R3, and even a R4 ( I think ). In attendance was a 1963 Avanti "prototype", one of one. It was built and not accepted for production by the Studebaker management. It had a very low body and serial number. It looked like a normal Avanti, but it had a section about 12 - 14 inches taken out of the body and frame where the "wing windows" would normally be. It was designed to be a 2 seater so it had no back seat. The area behind the seats was finished in matching materials and design. The drivers and passenger windows were different than normal at the "B" piller edges. It had a shorter wheelbase than a normal Avanti. It had 30K miles, Turquoise color, R2, 4 speed, stock appearance and in good condition. The car "stumped"most of us until the owner told the cars' story and explained that it had sat in a museum for a number of years. It truly drew a crowd. Must be worth a bundle!

Since this forum has so many knowledgeable owners, some of you might already know about this car, but it was first for me! Thought I would share my experience.

Happy Memorial Day!