Throttle Kicker

JWL1940

Regarding the device on my j1963 R1 with PowerShift, Power Steering, and Air conditioning: What is the purpose of this device, and is it necessary? Kicker function seems to be with the engine running vacuum is pulling the plunger in and releases it when vacuum drops, correct? I understand the function of a dashpot to slowly close the throttle, but can't figure out what the Kicker is suppose to do. Thanks

(o{}o)

Are you talking about the vacuum dash pot or do you have an electrical solenoid as well?

If you have an electrically operated solenoid, its purpose is to raise the idle speed back to normal when the clutch for the a/c compressor engages due to the load from the a/c pump. If set right, your idle should be 600 RPM without the a/c on. The a/c kicks in and the idle should still be about 600 inspite of the higher load.

As for my car, mine does not have one. I haven't really used the a/c once I found it's low on pressure, just cycled it to keep the juices flowing. I haven't noticed a big drop in RPM but then again it isn't pumping full pressure.

Ken Buchanan

Ken, the device I am asking about is a vacuum operated device that interacts with the carburetor linkage. Shop manual says to adjust the device place the fast idle adjusting screw on the highest part of the cam and adjust the kicker so the hex screw head just contacts the bracket on the throttle linkage. That is all the workshop manual says about the kicker, as far as I can tell. Do not understand its function and wonder if it is necessary.

I am familiar with the electrically operated solenoids on AC equipped cars to boost the idle speed when the AC is activated. Also familiar with the dash pot devices to slow down the engine speed slowly when the accelerator pedal is released. The device I am asking about is neither of these.

Thanks, John

Received an explanation about the throttle kicker from a reply on the SDC site. Basically, it is used to boost idle speed when there is a vacuum drop the keep the engine from stalling. Different than a dashpot that slows the action of the throttle linkage when the accelerator pedal is released.

(o{}o)

That's it! (just saw this)....it 'kicks' the engine's idle speed up as vacuum goes away just before the engine stalls....and it's quite effective if adjusted properly

If you need a new one, just call Dave Thibeault.!