starter issues.

Pat K

I have been struggling with starting problems since last summer. Turn the key, nothing. Wait a few minutes, starts right up. Finally bit the bullet and replaced the starter, solenoid. Thought the problem was solved. Been driving it about a week, went out after lunch and samo-samo. I plan to replace the ignition key assembly next but not very confident this will end the problem.

Anyone else have similar problems?

Anyone?

1985 RQB 4143

Have you made sure all the connections...from the battery to the solenoid and the ground cable are tight? Loose or dirty connections can cause problems like that. A cable could be bad without looking so...it could have too high a resistance. A shop can do a resistance test to see what kind of amperage the starter is pulling. You can buy or maybe borrow a meter from places like Pep Boys that offer free borrowing of tools (if they have a meter). A bad positive battery cable will make it look like a starter is bad.

There's also the possibility the starter you purchased is defective...if you purchased a rebuilt unit it would not be uncommon for it to be defective. While this was years ago, when I was in working in an auto repair store rebuilt parts had a pretty bad record of defects. Hopefully that's not the case anymore.

I wouldn't rule out the ignition switch but I think it would be less likely than something starter/solenoid/cable related.

Start with the most basic and simple and work from there. Don't start just replacing parts hoping to get it that way.

On my 89 I had a similar problem. I had to remove and clean the ground strap cable that ran from starter to the frame. Not sure if your yr has the ground strap.

I agree with Gunslinger...check all cables and clean all connections first..Good luck.

I had a similar problem with my 84. The cable lug on the solenoid was metric 10x1 mm. Someone had put a 3/8x16 nut on it.

It would tighten tight but not against the seat!

I fought that for several years. The new starters and solenoids came without the nuts so we would try the old nut.

Seems GM used both metric and English studs !

CharlieRQB3921

I would start with making sure that you are getting power to the starter solenoid. Attach a volt meter to the solenoid terminal and see if you get 12 volts to it when you try to start the engine.

In my 87 Avanti the problem was caused by a bad connection at the plug that supplied the rear TV console. I didn't have a rear TV but the power for the ignition switch traveled thru that plug and back before going to the ignition switch. Wired around the plug and problem gone.

You can use a volt meter to check your wiring with a voltage drop test. Attach the + probe of the volt meter to the battery terminal and the - probe to the starter cable terminal. Crank the engine and watch the meter reading, anything over .2 volts is resistance caused by corrosion or a bad cable.

Good luck,

Jim Wood