Avan-"tay"

cobrajoe74

Is it just me or do others want to pull their hair out when someone calls their car an Avan-"tay"!!! Why are they trying to make an Italian word a French word??? I always come back with "It's an Avan-tee!!!" Was watching the FantomWorks episode & Dan Short calls the '83 he modified an Avan-"tay"....arghh!!!...makes me crazy!!! That '83 is nice for a highly modified (and ridiculous $$$) car but why do you take off the bumpers??? It drives me crazy when owners try to restyle the classic Loewy design-do they think Loewy (& his four Palm Springs designers) got it wrong the first time??? Isn't the look of the car (and for me the classic pre-84 chrome blade bumpers) why we love the Avan-"tee" in the first place???

I've tried to give accurate information to some who maintain that Avantis were made in Canada. Some accept the correction and appreciate the correct information...a few act like you're insulting their intelligence by correcting what they know for a fact Avantis were made in Canada.

We just have to accept that the Avanti design is a "love it or hate it" proposition and let it go at that...misinformation and all. I've been corrected a number of times here with information I thought was accurate but found out otherwise. None of us know everything when it comes to Avantis.

You can't educate everyone, so there's no point in trying.

Hate to say it Gunslinger but I don't agree with promoting continued misinformation about our cars. The mystique surrounding Avanti's is really part of the car's uniqueness & if we (the owners) don't provide accurate information about them, who will???....I'm not saying that I have to be arrogant when I correct folks about our cars but when someone comes up to me and says "Oh yeah, I know about those Avan-"tays"- they came with 454 rat motors right?" (I've had this conversation!) they need to be "educated" so to speak...I would think you have to set people straight on certain points even with your C3 Vette, right?? (like LT1 vs big block, big block hood vs standard, etc)...that's the beauty of owning a collector car (and the challenge!) is knowing the intricacies of a particular car!!

To illustrate the topic of conversation, there is currently a 1979 Daytona Yellow Chevrolet Avanti II listed for sale on Ebay.

Having long ago given up on folks who say, "George Warshington" and "Calvary Charge" I'm afraid I don't care if someone clings to Avan-tay, 'specially if there's a y'all in the verbage also. I'm thrilled when I run into folks who just use complete sentences.