Passenger door is stuck closed 1983 Avanti

Bill Hanlon

The door will not open. The car has not been on the road since 2005 and I am in the middle of resurrecting it. Another issue is that the car was in hurricane Sandy that has presented a lot of challenges . I have flooded the locking mechanism with WD 40 with no success.

Am I missing something simple to get the door to open.

Bill. If you can get the door panel off you should be able to reach the locking mechanism and trip it open. Be sure the window is all the way up for easier access and to prevent breakage. If this doesn't do it and assuming the door is in the unlock mode, get a helper to hold the outside latch in the open position and using your foot, apply hard steady outward pressure from the inside. If this doesn't do it, than the pillar door pin or door lock may have gotten pushed out of alignment. In this case you may be able to loosen the door pin on the backside of the pillar. Last one to try, and really not recommended, is to cut the door pin between the door and the pillar.

When you turn the inside door lock knob can you hear an audible click? (You should) Also, your '83 Avanti, like mine, probably has power door locks. If the door was flooded, the power lock solenoid at the bottom of the door may be seized and holding the lock mechanism in the locked position....You may have to remove the door upholstery (with the door closed that's tough) then reach in and disconnect the rod connecting the solenoid to the latch. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. No click so I must assume that is it. I will have a good weekend project removing the door panel with the door closed but that is the reason we are in the hobby.

Thanks

Bill

Got the door open thanks to your help. Now it is time to start working on the power windows. I also have the seats out as the sliders were rusted I will never get done with this car. Move on to the rugs after the windows. .

Got the door open thanks to your help. Now it is time to start working on the power windows. I also have the seats out as the sliders were rusted I will never get done with this car. Move on to the rugs after the windows. .

Bill

What was the issue in case someone has a similar problem in the future?

Bob