heat shield on starter motor?

Pat K

I am having some starter issues during this hot phase of summer. The starter will not activate, but it is random. Doesn't happen in the morning, just after being driven to the store, for instance, go in, come back out, hit the key - nothing. Wait 15-20 minutes, fires right up. I have gone through the usual decision tree, starter motor?- nope, solenoid? - maybe. ignition switch? - maybe.

Anyone else have any of this. If it is a engine heat problem, I am wondering if some sort of heat shield might be useful. Probably going to replace all three items and be done with it.

Ideas?

1985 - 305, 95K miles

PK

RQB 4143

It could be heat soak...not uncommon. It could also be loose terminal attachments on the solenoid or corroded terminals. Cleaning the connections might help as well as making sure they're tight. A heat shield could also help. Recently in my car I experienced a similar problem. In my case it turned out to be the valve cover bolts had loosened and oil was leaking out onto the starter. When the engine was hot...it wouldn't start. Tightening the valve cover bolts plus adding a thermal jacket to the starter fixed it.

I hope your solution is as simple.

I had the same problem last year and figured it was a heat soak problem. I bought a newer, smaller, permanent magnet starter here and haven't had a single problem since.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=30

I use the same starter on all my SBC's with excellent results but I also wrap my exhaust pipes with DEI wrap. It protects the starter as well as keeps the pipes from burning you if you get up close and personal. It also lessens the radiated heat in that area.

If money is an issue replace the starter/solenoid with an OEM rebuilt from an Auto Zone type store with a lifetime warranty for under $50 and be sure your connections are tight and corrosion free.

Bob

Before spending money on items that may not work, grab a volt meter and perform a voltage drop test from the battery to the starter. If more then .2 volts when cranking, you have a problem with loose terminals, corrosion etc. Next perform an amp test, should draw no more then 1 amp per cubic inch, 350ci = 350 amps. If drawing too many amps make sure the distributor advance isn't set to high, this can cause the same problem when hot. Shouldn't need a shield if it didn't come with one.