Mystery Mirror

Palantirion

So I got my early '64 Avanti from my dad, without much in the way of explanations prior to his passing. I do know that he had this mirror moved from the original Avanti locations, but more strange is that it is obviously not an Avanti mirror. Now, I am planning on reinstalling the mirror after re-chroming and new glass in dad's location. Partially for nostalgia, and partly because it worked really well in that location. My question is, does anyone know what car this mirror came from? These are the best pics I have until I get it back from the chromer.

Stem:

mirror%20%281%29.JPG

Close-up without glass:

mirror%20%282%29.JPG

Note stem and glass housing in tray at the chromers:

mirror%20%283%29.JPG

Edited by Palantirion

I have a couple of old Corvette's of that same period that have a very similar mirror. The ID inside the disc is 4 3/8" (110 mm) which I think is same as yours. they can be ordered from any of the Corvette aftermarket suppliers. On one car is held in with adhesive (like windshield sealant), the other has rubber gasket behind mirror with big "C snap ring" in front to hold mirror in.

Alternatively, the entire Corvette mirror with pedestal can be ordered which looks very similar. The Corvette does not have exposed screws as your Avanti does. The mounting bracket screws to fiberglass with a smooth exposed pedestal (small hex set screw in back).

Joe

My 74 has rectangle mirror recessed on a chrome assembly...gets cluttered looking thru vent window...may change to your clean simple round style.

It's possible it's a mirror from Avanti Motor Company. I have a factory photo of a 1970 Avanti II with a mirror similar, but not quite the same as that. Avanti Motors used an American Motors remote control mirror for cars equipped that way. Non-remote mirrors would either have been aftermarket or adapted from from another make...maybe American Motors as well. Checking AMC sources might be of help.

Why not simply put an Avanti mirror on the car? Good repops are available from the Avanti vendors. When my '70 went through reconstruction I eliminated the AMC unit and used the original design to get the car closer to its roots while updating other things.

I understand your desire for nostalgia but rechroming the current mirror and replacing then glass would run significantly more than buying a the original design.

The bad thing about finding a good design that mounts on the door is that many designs conflict with the wing vent when it's open.

Why not simply put an Avanti mirror on the car? Good repops are available from the Avanti vendors. When my '70 went through reconstruction I eliminated the AMC unit and used the original design to get the car closer to its roots while updating other things.

I understand your desire for nostalgia but rechroming the current mirror and replacing then glass would run significantly more than buying a the original design.

The bad thing about finding a good design that mounts on the door is that many designs conflict with the wing vent when it's open.

Cost < nostalgia. There were 3 things dad did to the Avanti that, I realize now, are somewhat unussual and made the car look much better when combined. 1) The mirror 2) Blacking out the gray parts of the hubcaps 3) Wide whitewalls. I want to keep that combination intact regardless of any other changes to the car.

• 4 months later...

Check out the mirror on this 1:43 scale Avanti. Not the regular location or style. But also different than my dad's. Was this a different Studebaker mirror?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studebaker-Avanti-Supercharged-Tribute-Edition-Automodello-AM43-STU-AVA-TE-/111295637956?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item19e9bca9c4

$_57.JPG

p.s. Someone told me that they thought my mirror could be a Joma mirror (aftermarket company from the '60s), but I can't find any good info on them.

Edited by Palantirion

I had similar (not exactly the same, though) mirrors installed on my 1963 R2 when I bought it last summer. They have a part number embossed on the inside surface. The owner could not tell me anything about the mirrors at the time.

A mounting bracket was installed on the fiberglass with 2 screws and the main body attached to the bracket with a single screw in the middle. The mirrors were mounted on the fender about in line with the windshield edge of the hood. The car had a major restoration done in 1986 and then a minor repaint about 10 years ago. I was lucky when I replaced them with Stratovues as the old mounting holes were either utilized with the new mirrors or they were fully covered by the base.

I think the Stratovue mirror is the sexiest mirror to put on an Avanti as it continues the theme of no straight lines and all curves. My opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I will try to add a picture later of the old mirrors I removed.