1988 Muffler

unclemiltie

I had to read your message a few times in order to understand - so, you have ONE exhaust pipe coming from the Cat Conv that connects to a muffler that is located underneath the trunk area - And this muffler has TWO tail pipe exhausts coming OUT of it?

My '88 Coupe has 2 exhaust pipes that are split from one larger pipe after the Cat Conv - the 2 mufflers are Before the rear axle.

I'm pretty sure this is std. for GM (Monte Carlo). Sounds like yours (unless you are the original owner as am I) was changed. I kinda like yours if this is the case since I have replaced mine (glass packs) many times and the 2 pipe system ain't CHEAP! How is that 1 muffler attached under your trunk?

Bill D

Yes, I have one pipe coming from the converter going into the muffler under the trunk and then two exhaust pipes coming off the muffler, this car had 20,000 on it, I just replace original hoses and belts, I am thinking this is original to the car. My brother has an 88 Monte Carlo he bought new and it has a similar system.

It is a clamped system and not welded. I tried to get a name off the muffler but it must be on the side facing up. There is a lot of insulation above the muffler as it lays tight against this insulation and thus the trunk floor

Thanks