Speedo on my R1 64 Avanti

steve remick

I'm getting a very noisy sound from the speedo and it jumps around a lot. I was told to take it out of the back of the dash and lubricate it.e

Will this work or not? I purchased a NOS about 1 1/2 years ago. Could it already have gone bad?

It's often the speedometer cable that causes these issues. It most likely needs lubricating. I've seen some people use grease for the suspension but there is speedometer cable lubricant and I would look for that. Unthreading the cable from the back of the speedometer and lubricating the cable will likely fix your problem.

I would remove the cable from the speedometer before driving it again so you don't cause some damage. When I was in high school, the car I drove (a '62 Chebbie Bel Air SW), the speedometer started going crazy and making a buzzing noise and the needle kept banging from one end of the speedometer to the other before breaking off. It was a very cold winter morning so that may have had some bearing on the cable and lack of lubrication...or the lubricant too cold and thick to do its job.

You may also want to remove the speedometer head from the dash and pry the small brass plug (which is located at the top of the stem, just ahead of the threaded area.) Place a drop or two of ATF into the small hole and then re-install that tiny brass plug.....This procedure can do wonders for a 'nervous' speedometer!...Good luck

You may also want to remove the speedometer head from the dash and pry the small brass plug (which is located at the top of the stem, just ahead of the threaded area.) Place a drop or two of ATF into the small hole and then re-install that tiny brass plug.....This procedure can do wonders for a 'nervous' speedometer!...Good luck [/quote)

Thanks mfg Much appreciated!!