Dash Pad

studegard

OK, I know these are hard to come by but I need to find a replacement dash pad for my 63 Avanti. I checked with Just Dashes , but pretty pricey for my purposes. Mine is cracked very badly and not repairable. I would like to find just a good used pad. Any help or leads would be appreciated.

OK, I know these are hard to come by but I need to find a replacement dash pad for my 63 Avanti. I checked with Just Dashes , but pretty pricey for my purposes. Mine is cracked very badly and not repairable. I would like to find just a good used pad. Any help or leads would be appreciated.

I may be able to help you with this. I am in much the same situation, and some years ago, unable to find a good replacement (the ones from SI were unavailable at the time, and may still be, I don't know -- but I have heard from a number of people that they don't really fit properly in any case), so I bought a dash from a parted out Avanti II. I still have it. I am still working on the mechanical parts of the car, and haven't redone the interior yet, so it never went in. Then, much to my benefit, Dan Booth reaquired a NOS dash he had sold to someone years before, but that person never used. He put it on ebay. I saw it, and since Dan knows me and likes me, he ended the auction early, and I now have that pristine, unblemished, NOS Avanti dash. That's the one that will be going in my car. Which means I still have the Avanti II dash I was originally going to use. It has a small, sun-damage crack, which a good vinyl repair kit could almost certainly hide acceptably well, and it needs to be redyed the color of your choice (it's a medium brown), but it's a good serviceable dash, and I don't need it anymore. I do, however, want the gauges out of it,, and the Z bar, so I'd be holding onto those -- sounds like you won't be needing them anyway. If you are interested, PM me, and we may be able to work something out.

Bear in mind though that this is a later Avanti II dash, made when Avanti Motors was sourcing steering columns from AMC. The cutout for the steering column is thus slightly too large for the Stude column. You would need to make a spacer of some sort to fill the gap, and you could probably cover that with vinyl, dyed to match your dash, and it wouldn't be very noticeable.