Seat Belts.

davepink53

Dave

The later II's had rear belts and they are mounted through the rear fiberglass with a large washer IIRC. If I were to do it, I'd install a large round plate behind the bolting area to hold the belts. Three points would be more difficult as the upper mount could be iffy, but not impossible.

The 74 is setting stripped on my hoist, I'm commenting from memory but I can get some pictures of how Avanti Motors did it if you need them.

BTW congrats on wanting this improvement.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Thanks for your input Bob. I really think that we need 3 point harness. got to keep the baby safe. I will have to look into it further. May be a lap belt is sufficient to lock a baby seat in?

Dave...

Thanks for your input Bob. I really think that we need 3 point harness. got to keep the baby safe. I will have to look into it further. May be a lap belt is sufficient to lock a baby seat in?

Dave...

Dave

I know on my newer cars there is a separate hook that holds the childs seat on the rear package tray as well as the three point harness. Upon further review, if you pull the back seat out, I think you can find enough solid fiberglass that with some reinforcement will allow a three point install.

The issue to me is what do the baby seats need to have to be installed in your neck of the woods. Here the requirements have been upgraded in the last few years so our seat requirements may differ. In any case, there enough "meat" back there to put in what you need but some creativity may be involved. The offer of pictures of that area is still open.

Nothing more important than keeping the little ones safe. Well!!! The grands kids are more important now. That's why all my "classic" cars have three point belts, our kids wouldn't let their kids ride without them. I totally agree.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been advised that the '63 should have the fixing points for lap belts already, so will pull the back seat and look. Belts from SI are on order. We have installed a set in the Lark so the familly are mobile, at least.

Dave,

If you look under the back of the car in front of rear tyre and along the diff you should see 4 square plates riveted and bonded to the body.

That is where the bolts screw into for the seat belt. You obviously access them by flicking out the rear seat bottom.

pb

Dave,

For that you will need to remove the back seat rest and make a similar sized steel anchor (same or larger than the seatbelt anchors )

Bond and rivet that underneath the parcel shelf and you should be away.

pb

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Well I know it has been a while. But today we finally got around to fitting the seat belts to the rear seat of the Avanti and sure enough, just as you all said, the anchor points are there although after 53 years. the bolts refused to come out. had to drill them out and fit new bolts and nuts etc. As for the third anchor point, we ran the strap over the back of the seat through the hatch opening in the parcel shelf and down to a fixing through the side of the spare wheel well, which is very solid. So it works well. Little Hunter will have a safe ride at the Easter Studebaker National meet in Wagga Wagga, NSW.

Thanks for your input.

Dave.

If you do decide to carry your baby in an old car, please make sure the vehicle has a good trunk seal so exhaust fumes won't enter the cabin. Keeping the windows open draws even more fumes into a moving car due to a venturi effect from the air passing the open side windows which sucks the air from the back of the car through the trunk.