Thero-Cleaned Steel Wheels

mtgibby

(That should read "Thermo-Cleaned")

I got a great deal from John Lawrence on five steel Avanti wheels and tires.

Local tire shop popped the tires off for $25 and I took the wheels to the Auto Hobby Shop at Scott Air Force Base to sand blast them.

The shop manager recommended that I have them Thermo-Cleaned instead, and showed me some before/after pictures. I was sold on the process instantly.

They placed three wheels in a thermal chamber where they are heated to around 500 degrees. All the paint and grease burn off. Then a crane picks up the load and transfers it to another chamber where they are shot peened.

It costs $40 per load.

The results:

DSC02876_zpshnvvutwt.jpg

It even exposed the Maker's Mark:

DSC02877_zpsxpwaf7fl.jpg

John, your old wheels were made by Kelsey Hayes in February 1963.

The last two wheels were still in the shot peen (sp?) cabinet, so I will pick those up tomorrow and pay them $80.

Now I just need a lead on a good St Louis powder coating company!

Edited by mtgibby

The tires look really good for their age. I still have them, but there is evidence of cracking along the bead and side wall. Probably fine for rolling a shell around the garage, but I wouldn't want to risk a blowout on the road. Tires are cheap when compared to what rides on them!

That is how my Avanti wheels were cleaned and stripped, by a company that does powdercoating near the airport, off of I-170. They thermo-stripped them then powdercoated them.

But the company I use now, like Brad mentioned, is about a 1/2 mile from the his shop. very good prices too. Stop in some day and I'll bring you there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know if the 1966  5" rims are the same as the Avanti rims?

Are 1963 and 1964 Avanti rims the same?

It looks like the rims in this post have a ridge to clear the disk brakes like the 1963 Larks with disk brakes.

Robert Kapteyn