Carpet color

schuyler

I have a 1963 (built 12/62) Avanti that is original Avanti Gold exterior with the original beige/elk interior. At some point in this cars life someone removed the original carpet and replaced with dark brown. I would like to have the carpet color the original color. I believe this would be biege "salt and pepper", correct? I have looked on the documents I have with the car but can not find a carpet color designation. What document would show the original color on my car? As always, thank you for your expertise!

Salesman had books provided them that gave all color combinations available for 1963-'64. There's a pretty fair amount of them out there but they're also expensive when you find one complete and good condition. I have one I can check for you later but am unable to do so at the moment.

If no one gives you the information before I can later on, you might look at Bob Johnstone's Avanti site online. That information may be available there.

Your car most probably came with "Fawn and Black" carpeting which is something of a salt and pepper. The only way to be completely sure of the carpeting is to obtain a copy of the production sheet available from either the Studebaker National Museum or Nostalgic Motors.

Whether anyone is reproducing that carpeting I can't say. Hopefully someone else will know and speak up.

According to the Studebaker National Museum Archives the carpet for a pre. May '63 Gold (P6334) Avanti with Fawn/Elk interior would have been all Black carpet.