89 Avanti on Ebay..

silverstude

This would be the first 89 I've seen that is on a Camaro chassis..My 89 is on modified Caprice Chassis. The adds facts might be a bit off. I doubt it has anti-lock brakes but maybe they were added?..Pictures of the engine compartment would tell. Would have been nice to see the engine compartment. Do not know anything about the story behind Al Jardine owning this car. I would not refer to this car as an Avanti II. There is a sticker in the lower pass side of the windshield. This sticker says the car was made in Youngstown, OH. I refer to this car as a Cafaro Avanti.. Cafaro was the owner of the company when the '89's were built (I think my facts are right on Cafaro).

Looking at the pictures, the wheels on the car appear to be original. The taillight and headlight bezels are painted the body color. Correct The door handles, window trim, Avanti badges, windshield frame and wipers are chrome. Correct. The interior looks correct. The steering wheel and door map pockets are very different from mine, but that's Avanti for you. The add makes no comment of the boot cover (for when the top is down, should match the top/interior color). Look like a nice car. If it were closer I'd go have a look.

Thanks, it has my interest. I've been through Clinton, SC once and it's definitley not a place you'd expect to see a car like this. It would be nice to have someone look it over. The seller has told me it doesn't have fuel injection however.

I have an 89 as well. I sent a message to the seller letting him know it is a modified Caprice frame the car is on as the Camaro did not have a full frame under it. Yes the 89's were Carfaro Avantis, built in Youngstown. The interior and door panels are the same style as my 89, with the color being the only difference. My 89 does have the black-out trim on the windshield posts, door handles and the name plates. I believe I saw the car listed either late last year or earlier this year for sale and at that time, the driver and passenger windows were not working, which I have had issues with as well.

I understand there are a good number of differences between the 87 & 88 models on the Monte Carlo/ El Camino framed convertibles and the 89's on the Caprice frames. The gas tank and gas cap location as well as the top mechanisms are different. Last summer at Dover, I got a look at an 87's trunk and there was a ton more room in it than my 89 has.

Edited by plwindish

The 89's have the 305 CI engine with 4 barrel carb. They were never fuel injected. I concur with plwindish on the comments of the window motors. I have replaced both the driver and pass side. Have not had troubles with the rear qtr window motors. Have fun..

The 89's have the 305 CI engine with 4 barrel carb. They were never fuel injected. I concur with plwindish on the comments of the window motors. I have replaced both the driver and pass side. Have not had troubles with the rear qtr window motors. Have fun..

A friend of mine owns a beautiful, red, non-moonroof '89 coupe....and it doesn't have a carb....it left the factory with GM throttle body injection. (looks like a carb,...but isn't!)

Let's say the seller is an uninformed Avanti seller. The car looks to be a nice stock 89. My 89 is red with black interior and black top, which I prefer over the red/tan combination. I don't know if the Al Jardine ownership will throw any more $ into the value. By the way, the window issues I had were the window switches and not the motors. AFAIK, the window motors are intact originals. Window switch grounds have been a large problem with some of the Cafaro Avantis.

My 89 has been rest-modded. It has a carbureted 383 "stroker" SBC with a TCI 4L60 AOD trans with B&M shifter, Ford 9" rear end with 4:86 gears, 4 wheel disc brakes, and Torque Thrust 18's and 20's on the car. It has crazy amounts of power, but doesn't pass many gas stations. I'm thinking about taming it a little by going to a 3:50 - 3:70 rear gear over the winter or spring.

MFG, the best looking 89 I've seen was at Dover this summer. It was a Candy Apple Red Coupe with red/black leather interior from upper state New York. It had only around 13 K miles. The owner said it sat in the dealer's showroom for 12 or 13 years. The candy apple red color and black-out trim with wire wheels made for a stunning looking Avanti.

Edited by plwindish

I'm looking at a 1989 Coupe for which the seller lists the ending VIN 1000459Z. Not an AOAI member so can't verify the VIN in the directory. Question is what the "Z" means, or is it a mistake. Could create a title problem. The color is burgundy and it is stored in Denison TX. Anyone know it?