Dash Pad - Replace or Refurbish?

mtgibby

I tore the dashboard down to parade rest in preparation of installing a new dash pad, which the previous owner was kind enough to include with the car.

DSC02428_zpsveyo53eg.jpg

The old pad has some flaws, but is not in terrible condition.

DSC02423_zpsobum84nu.jpg

DSC02426_zpsuxgmg5if.jpg

DSC02424_zpsi4yec9e0.jpg

I'm not real impressed with the quality/feel of the replacement cover. I don't know who manufactured it, but the details don't seem real sharp or deep. This is very noticeable on the glove box door.

DSC02427_zpstf5wbckn.jpg

I am considering using a vinyl refurbishing kit (like they sell at Eastwood) on the old dash pad, and then using fawn vinyl dye.

Has anyone had good/bad experience using this or a similar kit?

Any advice?

• 4 weeks later...

You may find other issues on that pad if/when you try to install it. It's probably one of the pads that Studebaker International used to sell before they ran out, and I have heard from a few sources they those things never did fit perfectly. I was lucky enough to get a NOS Avanti II dash -- complete -- from Dan Booth. The only issue with that is that it was for the later Avanti II, which used the AMC steering column, so the cutout for the column is larger. I'm going to have to fabricate a spacer, which I'll cover with vinyl dyed to match the dash pad. With the aluminum instrument overlay in place, the seam where the vinyl covering the spacer meets the dash pad should be pretty unnoticeable.

Ed Reynolds of Studebaker International was supplying dash pads but had problems with the fit and discontinued them. He is working to produce them again but is still working on the fit.

As an option that I am taking is a recover at Just Dashes in California. They are very pricey but worth it to me as I have the car torn down for a frame off restoration.

Just Dashes have pics of an Avanti dash on their website.

Replaced mine with a factory replacement from SASCO many years ago. Even the original's were difficult to fit.

Saw the Just Dashes on the web just last week. Very impressive.

Edited by ron@crall.com