Question on Avanti II serial number and location

grobb284

I just recently purchased an Avanti II for the possible installation on the chassis we built. Where is the serial number located at? It doesn't seem to be on the frame rail as on the original Studebaker Avantis.

I found a number on the front of the dash facing the front window, not unlike GM and other newer cars. However, not an RQB number, but a 17 digit number starting with: 12AAV

When I looked at the Avanti II registry, I saw two other cars with the 17 digit number starting with 12AAV, the resr were RQB numbers.

Can anyone update me on this?

The 12AAV number is the actual VIN. The Feds mandated a 17-digit VIN from all auto makers in 1981. It was also mandated at various times the VIN be stamped or otherwise located at various places in or on the car. It was also mandated that the VIN must be visible from outside the car looking through the windshield though sometimes small manufacturers like Avanti Motors were granted delays in implementing some mandates. The car will have an RQB number, but it's more for internal use and not as a VIN as previously. I don't believe you'll find it on the car itself...maybe the build sheet or manufacturer's statement of origin might list it, and possibly the car title of some states as a model designation. It's only use is a sequence number since it was no longer the VIN.