• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 16347

AOAI Forum Member

• AOAI Forum Members
  • 1 posts
  • My Avanti:63R-3414

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Have a 63 Avanti R1 with air conditioning from factory (I have heard that all a/c was aftermarket even if from factory?). It aparently shorted out, suddenly with no power to control, no blower, no compressor respone to switch. Even more strange, the heater blower now blows fuse when turned on now. It's easy to understand the heater motor, as it has dragged on startup for some time, but the a/c went out first. Seems odd that they would possibly both be on the same circuit. I can't figure how to get to the a/c blower as it is behind the evaporator. I have a wiring diagram that indicates a hot lead from the switch to the a/c but I can't find any wire that appears run in this path. I suspect that these may have been wired differently depending upon where it was done.
Does anyone have access to info on this, a place to direct me? If it turns out to be needed, source for a new a/c blower motor?

Thanks.

#2 JLBKY

JLBKY

AOAI Forum Member

• AOAI Forum Members
  • 19 posts
  • My Avanti:1963 63R1348

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

To my knowledge ( 40 years of Avanti ownership ) the heater bower circut is fused in the fuse box and has nothing to do with the A/C.
On my car, the A/C power is fused in an inline fuse holder ( glass barrel fuse ) and ,as I recall, the fuse holder is located just above and just to the right of the parking brake assembly.
Hope this helps
John

#3 abasile

abasile

AOAI Forum Member

• AOAI Forum Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

The AC was a Studebaker designed system that used a York Compressor and components that originated with the "Big Three". It was not aftermarket. The Heat and AC are not integrated like todays modern systems. I would start with checking the AC and Temperature Control switches. Also, make sure the system is charged. It should not be too hard for a reputable AC shop to tell you what is wrong and give you an estimate.. The unit is very simple. As for the Heater - sounds like your motor is shot. This forum has a section that deals with replacing it.

Let's be honest --Studebaker Avantis tend to run hot. It is not uncommon for that heat to ruin AC hoses and lines. You may have a leaking or blocked hose or two or a clogged condensor. I've owned four Avantis since 1970. It is possible to get the system to work correctly, even after 50 years. However, hooking up a cheap recharge kit is usually not the answer.

Edited by abasile, 29 March 2013 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users