New Member and Possible New Avanti 2 Owner and hog trough questions

yogi47

Hello to Everyone,I am a new member to the Avanti forum but I have been an SDC member for almost 25 years.I own a 1950 Studebaker Champion,and looking to buy a 1979 Avanti 2.It will be our first Avanti if we buy it.One of my main concerns about the car is the rust in some of the front part of the right side trough.How critical is replacing this part if most of it is still ok.Is it a serious safety concern?The owner doesn`t think so.It will be garaged and out of the weather/The car also has a 1994 Chevy 350 in it with Quadrajet carb.Do these things lower the value?This Avanti 2 is real nice inside and out but has those 2 main issues.Owner is asking $16000.Does that sound OK? Thanks for any reply.

Welcome.

The hog troughs are quite expensive to replace ($3500-4000 installed) and serve as the main support of the body to the frame. A soft spot could be repaired if good structural metal could be found to weld to but usually they rust in the rear so I would examine them more closely.

As it's your first Avanti, the emotion to own one can overwhelm sensibility. I think $16K for a 79 with some issue is quite high. Go to Ebay and Craigslist and see what they sell for. It would really need to be spectacular to get that price with new paint and rebuilt mechanicals. Also get the front suspension inspected. Poor maintenance can result in a rebuild and the parts are $1000 alone.

I'd want a good inspection from someone that knows Avanti's in that price range.

JMHO but I own an 83 and 74. Please do your research before you buy.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Rusted hog troughs are probably one of the biggest problems you'll run into on an Avanti, and probably the first question out of any potential buyers mouth is "how are the hog troughs?". It seriously diminishes the value and I would not pay that much for an Avanti with that issue. There has been some discussion as to their structural importance, but there is little discussion as to their value. Replacing them will not be cheap or easy, either.

The newer 350 will not affect the value of the car, though.

Thanks to you all for your response.I am going to inspect the troughs hopefully tomorrow as this car is only 10 minutes from my home.I want to see if the owner will drop his price.I drove this car and it drives very nice.Interior is perfect.If I can talk him down,it may be worth it.I will let you know more about it soon.Thanks again Avanti83 andwarren55.

While you're at it...check the frame rails and the tubular cross tube under the spare tire well thoroughly as well. Those are known areas to keep an eye on. If the car has a power sunroof, check it for operation and leaks. The water drains for a sunroof lead right to the hog troughs, leading to rust. Also...check the other hog trough as well...rap it with a small hammer and see if it sounds solid.

Thanks for the advice Gunslinger.I knew I could find out a lot of info from this Avanti forum.I am going to call the owner of this Avanti this AM and hopefully will be able to inspect the underside of the car today.It looks and drives great and I hate to pass on a Avanti so close to home.The owner himself is a long time SDC member and knows a lot about them.I am a Studebaker loyalist and now own a 1950 Champion 4 dr,1951 Champion 4dr and a 1950 Champion Business coupe.I drove all of these to work and on a daily basis before I retired.Why own a Stude if you can`t drive it?My wife and I really want this car and I hope it works out.It has NO sunroof!I just don`t know a lot about Avanti`s but you guys are giving me a good education on them.I just wonder that if the Troughs are not too badly rusted,can they be repaired.I plan on keeping the car for a long time.The one other favorite pastime of mine is firing my MAC 10 9mm.fully automatic.By the way,it is fully legal here in Florida.Thanks for the help everyone! JB

I'd pay a premium for an Avanti without a sunroof. Not only do they ruin the lines of the car, I've never seen one which didn't eventually leak and/or rattle.

Unless one is going for a 400-point show car, any SBC is pretty much the same, just some are faster than others. Again, the 350" is much preferrable to the 305", but for a driver, one is as good as another.

jack vines

If you're interested in a later Avanti I'm looking to sell mine.

Its an 84 Black on Black Touring optioned Coupe RQB 3921. I bought it from Dan Booth in 1998. Its in excellent shape Solid through out.

The sun roof works and doesn't leak when driven through a car wash.

The engine is a 350 built by Jasper. With tuned port EFI. The transmission is a 700R4. Final is a 2.86 with posi traction. Gets 25 mpg Has Recaro seats in perfect condition and the back seat hasn't been used since I got it

Everything works properly except the power antennae.

I'm looking for about $14k.

CharlieRQB3921

The one other favorite pastime of mine is firing my MAC 10 9mm.fully automatic.By the way,it is fully legal here in Florida.Thanks for the help everyone! JB

Rock and roll is a blast. When I was a Fed I taught firearms, tactics and submachine gun. At the time I owned a select-fire Uzi and a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). The BAR could defoliate a grove of trees but expensive to shoot a lot. We had a Mac 10 but it was deactivated...a gift from ATF but it had to be non-working.

More power to ya!

Hog trough issues need to bring the price of the car down. IMHO to around 10 K. If the troughs are starting to go, Gunny brought up a good point about the rear crossmember. They are not as heavy as the frame and will quite readily rust.

That rear crossmember isn't a deal breaker in and of itself. Replacements are widely available and not very expensive. The old one (if rusted) can be cut out and the new one welded in. The price of the car should be reduced accordingly...as with the hog troughs.

As already alluded to...the hog troughs are a big deal. If they're compromised the car's safety is compromised. One or both can be replaced. It's not easy nor cheap but doable if you really like the car otherwise. The selling price should reflect the costs of that...$16k is too much. If the car is fully intact and needs nothing, then $16k isn't unreasonable. I'd start subtracting dollars for making the car structurally safe.

Avantis are wonderful cars...you don't have to jump on the first one you see available or because it's close to you. Avantis...more than most cars...are way too easy to get upside down in value. It's not a car to get rich off of down the road. You do it for the love of the car.

If you're interested in a later Avanti I'm looking to sell mine.

Its an 84 Black on Black Touring optioned Coupe RQB 3921. I bought it from Dan Booth in 1998. Its in excellent shape Solid through out.

The sun roof works and doesn't leak when driven through a car wash.

The engine is a 350 built by Jasper. With tuned port EFI. The transmission is a 700R4. Final is a 2.86 with posi traction. Gets 25 mpg Has Recaro seats in perfect condition and the back seat hasn't been used since I got it

Everything works properly except the power antennae.

I'm looking for about $14k.

CharlieRQB3921

Gosh...This Avanti sounds like a great deal for that kind of money....just consider the owner history!

I spent 2 hours checking the 1979 Avanti out today and this is what I found out about this car.The right side torque box has 3 small(1 inch diameter or less)rust holes at the front halve of the box.I pounded on the box and it is SOLID!!The drivers side is also SOLID.The end caps,frame and rear crossmember are also solid and rust free.I feel these holes can be repaired safely.The LT1 engine has been rebuilt,the front end is rebuilt and has a new sway bar.He is going to give me the original 350 engine.The interior is perfect and paint and body are great.This car won First place at the 2010 Arizona International Meet getting 385 points out of 400 for non stock class.It is pictured in the Sept.2010 Turning Wheels (page 46-Silver)I feel it worth the $16000 asking price considering the condition of this car.It runs,sounds and feels great to drive.Everything works.It is a Show car.It even has the autographs of Tom Kellogg and John Ebstein on the inner trunk lid.Pretty Cool.Let me know your opinions.Thanks Everyone!!! JB from Lakeland,Fl.

yogi47 it sounds like you might be dodging a bullet with the 3 small rust holes. I have not had to deal with any rusting troughs so I'm not sure what the best advice for repairing them would be. I'd suggest contacting the John Ebstein AOAI chapter in Florida for some advice on the repair. Some members are probably familiar with that car. Check with the seller to see if he is a member. I believe contact information for the chapter is on this website. If a minor repair to the hog trough is the only issue, with paint, body and interior being great, then let your wallet be your guide. Good luck with the car.

plwindish thanks for your comment.I have spoken to an Avanti expert and restorer from Ohio who everyone on this forum knows.She and her family`s business have been advertising forever in SDC magazine and knows the owner of the 1979 Avanti I am looking at very well.She also knows the car very well and thinks I am getting a good deal on it.The owner of the car and his son are long time members of SDC and AOAI and would not risk their reputation on a bad deal.I looked at a 1971 Avanti in December(now on craigs list-florida-treasure coast) and drove over 2 hours to check it out.It doesn`t compare to this one I am looking at.Some members commented on the craigs list car and thought it could be worth $14000-$18000.It`s not.I will try to put up some pics to show.Thanks again for your comment. JB

Congrats on your find.

What's the VIN #?

My is # RQB 2897. Only 175 were made that year.

My '79 came out of Florida too.

Mine had 1-1" hole in the left front trough area on the bottom.

I cut the rust out to clean metal, checked the inside for additional rust, sealed the inside area with undercoating,

made a small patch panel and pop riveted it in place, sealed it with silicone, then heavily undercoated the

entire trough on both sides. Easy repair.

Hello boogieman,The number on the car is RQB2871.Really close to yours.I haven`t finalized the transaction yet but it should be in a day or 2.I`m looking forward to finally being an Avanti owner.To me it is easily one of the best designed and best looking cars ever made.The car is a work of art.I`ve wanted one for years and decided to make the move and enjoy it while I still can.Thanks for the info on your hog trough repair.I will begin the repair process as soon as I get mine.I want to do it right and keep an eye on it in the future.We plan on keeping this car for a long time.When we take ownership,I want to join the AOAI.We will then be proud AOAI and SDC members!!My wife drove a 1963 Studebaker Lark for years to work and I drove a 1951 4dr Champion to work.They were our everyday drivers!The original clock on the 1951 even worked great! When we moved across country about 20 years ago,she drove that Lark approx. 2300 miles,used about 1 quart of oil the whole trip and never broke down or had any troubles.What a good little car.Thanks again for your input and to the other members for their advice.I`m sure I will have more questions about the Avanti and its good to be able to get sound info.Thanks to Everyone. JB Lakeland,Fl.

If you get the car the build sheet is readily available to confirm the car as-built.

My '79, #2897, was started on March 30, '79 and shipped out on May 24, '79.

So yours may be a late '78 build or early '79.

No way to tell without the build sheet as actual production was not necessarily by serial # only.

In an interesting side note, I am selling-off some of my collection of car parts.

An older guy came by Saturday for some parts and was astounded by my '79.

Says he never saw one or even heard the name before. He was seemingly impressed.

Just goes to show how unique these care are

Out of curiosity, what is the color combination?

Hello boogieman,Where do you get the build sheet? Sounds cool to get real info on the car.The color is Silver with red int..Great paint and like new inside.Should have it by Saturday. JB

boogieman,I just saw the owner and he has all the oringinal paperwork for the car and the build sheet.It was started onFeb.1-1979 and shipped on March 30-1979.They started yours the day my was shipped! Interesting.I will take possession of the car this Saturday.Came with a lot of options.Build sheet is full. JB

boogieman,The owner of the car has the original build sheet and it was built Feb.1-1979 and shippes on March 30-1979,the day they started building yours.Interesting.I`m getting all the original paperwork for this car.Cool. JB

boogieman,my build date is Feb.1-1979 and ship date was March 30-1979,the day they started yours,Cool. JB

Very interesting indeed. Coincidence?

Post pics when you can. Congrats on the purchase.

I have a friend who lives in South Bend. He remembers going by the factory and seeing cars sitting out awaiting shipment.

No pics though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey YOGI. You get that '79 home yet?

Question for you.

Does your car have the original jack and lug wrench?

Mine has a small hydraulic bottle jack that I don't think is correct.

What does your have?