Starting the "Big Fix"

chdonley2

Well here we go.... Barn find 1963 VIN# 63R2499, 70k, wrecked, used as a parts car. Lots missing and broken. According to the PO the original powertrain was sold. A replacement 289 w/ auto was dropped back into the car as a replacement some years ago. He claimed it was a good unit. Install never completed. We will see. I haven't really started work on the car, but the first thing needing to be fixed is the steering coupler. I now know the term "kick steer", thats how I loaded it on the trailer, kicking the front wheels. Anyway, Is the fabric/rubber flex piece that connects the steering column to the box available anywhere??? I have a feeling this is just the start of the quest for missing/broken/worn out and need replacing parts for this car. Thanks for your help.

chuck donley

auburn, ca.

This topic was discussed here or perhaps on the Studebaker Forum in the past, maybe a year ago or so. But, regardless of when, or where the discussion came up with a solution for a replacement for the rag joint.

I bought it and have NOT installed It is hanging on the wall in my garage. So I can not tell you if it is a perfect fit.

It is Dorman "Help" 31000. It appears to be what is needed.

On the back of the package it states the contents to be as follows: 1 Disc 3 3/16 O.D. 1 1/3 I.D.

4 Pin Bolts 5/16-24

2 Cap Screws 5/16-24 X 1 1/4

1 Sleeve Nut

1 Spring Washer

4 Hex Nuts 5/16-24

4 Lock Washers 5/16

Hope this helps. Let the Forum know if you in fact install it and the pros and cons of the kit and installation

John

Is there a ground pass through from one side of the insulated coupling to the other? If not, your horn will not work, if a factory setup.

I'm pretty good with a drill. I'll make it work.

thanks, chuck

• 2 weeks later...

replacement for the rag joint.

I bought it and have NOT installed It is hanging on the wall in my garage. So I can not tell you if it is a perfect fit.

It is Dorman "Help" 31000. It appears to be what is needed.

Hope this helps. Let the Forum know if you in fact install it and the pros and cons of the kit and installation

John

I bought the Help 31000 and it fits. thanks.

Well here we go.... Barn find 1963 VIN# 63R2499, 70k, wrecked, used as a parts car. Lots missing and broken. Thanks for your help.

chuck donley

auburn, ca.

On to the next item on the list...The rear axle assy. was badly damaged in the wreck and was removed. The P.O. threw a trailer axle under the car just to be able move it around.

Are there any other Studebaker rear ends that are a direct (or really close) replacement? Like a 63 Lark rear?? I'm not a purist, just want to get it back on the road. I searched this forum but couldn't find anything.

Thanks, Chuck

The Avanti is a Lark frame but I'm unsure about the width issues. Look on the Studebaker swap page and you'll find a recent listing for an Avanti 44. Best to find one from the car if possible as it will have the spring and drag ling mounts in the correct position.

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

Bob

Most any '53-up V8 Stude Dana 44 car axle will bolt in. It will lack the brackets for Avanti rear sway bar and traction bars. Stude used Dana 44s in ratios from 3.07 to 4.56. If this is an automatic car, look for 3.07 or 3.31. If a 4-speed, 3.54 or 3.73.

jack vines

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Studebaker used the same Dana 44 in most every car, later some 27s in the Lark. The perches will be correct for your Avanti but will need to add traction bar (torsion bars per Studebaker) brackets. SI sells brackets, but don't know if they match the originals, and will need to be welded on the housing. They also list new bars if needed. If you can't find one in CA I'd be surprised. I see one in a EBay listing for a whole tree damaged Avanti currently for sale in San Mateo as an extra part being thrown in with the sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231609495606?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed a passenger door striker from a Mercedes 220 sl. It works.

Did it have 4 holes instead of 3?

Don't know the 220 SL, There were the 230/280SL's from the 60's and a 220D sedan.