Exhaust smell at cruising speed.

kellyavanti

I'm getting a strong smell of exhaust at cruising speed in my '63 Avanti, when the windows are open. The exhaust tips seem pretty low (they occasionally scrape when pulling through a curb cut) and I was wondering if a low pressure area under the car might be sucking the exhaust into the car? Maybe someone has a fix? I am considering turning the pipes up at the rear so they will exit just under the bumper.

Thanks for input, Kelly

Yes, there's a low pressure area at work, but it might be inside the car. Go through the interior carefully; especially the firewall around the accelerator pedal, brake pedal rod heater hoses, under and behind the rear seats, in the trunk compartment and seal any seams, holes, access plugs. Check the exhaust system from the manifolds back, Any leaks anywhere can make life miserable.

Also, if the engine is running rich, today's fuel smells especially bad. Best thing to do is have it checked at cruise RPM on a chassis dyno with a good tailpipe A/F probe. Also, have the distributor centrifugal and vacuum advance checked on a machine. Getting the carburetor and timing right will go a long way toward reducing exhaust smells.

jack vines

Thanks, Jack. Have checked most of those things, but in Roswell, NM, good luck finding a chassis dyno. (or an emissions probe, no less). I've replaced the pedal boots and checked for holes, replaced grommets and plugs, etc.The PO installed an Edelbrock 600. I really think a 500 would be more suited, but it does run great, so changing carbs seems a bit down the list. Was mostly wondering if getting the exhaust tips more into the slipstream would help.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As stated earlier about checking for body leaks, check the quality of the rubber around the trunk. Prior to two (2) resorations on a 73 and my 64, I noted the exhaust smell dissapear after new rubber around the trunk.

good luck, maybe you need a CO2 monitor inside the car too.

Mark

• 2 months later...

Had new exhausts installed after inspecting everything else. The Smell is gone, and the 30 inch glasspacks sound spectacular! They cruise quietly, and talk when you want them to. I've had a fantasy about owning one of these cars for 48 years, since I was transfixed by the commercial on Tv when I was two. I have to say, even with this fairly rough driver-quality Avanti, the reality is better than the fantasy! Love this beast!