Needed: 63 rear 1/4 quarter window rubber seals

8 EYR

I am aware these are NLA, but hoping someone has a set of new ones they do not need or a decent set of used ones that they can part with. Any help will be much appreciated...

Edited by Nipits

SI is out of stock on them. Nostalgic and all others I contacted also do not have any in stock nor appear to be able to get any in the immediate future. It appears that the US manufacturer of the repros no longer wishes to make them.

I remember the ones I purchased were high quality and fit perfect. That said, my guess is either Steele or Metro was making them but they do not list them in their current catalogs. I recently restored a 64 Lincoln convertible and to say the least it was weatherseal HELL. So much was unavailable or there are rogue suppliers selling junk. Myself ( and many others) waited a year for Metro to make another run of vent window seals. We don't want to go through this with our Avantis.

If you do locate an excellent used set or better an NOS set, let me know. I know a guy that makes good seals and we should have him make a mold.

Check with Myer Studebaker. Michael finished the restoration on my avanti this summer. The rear 1/4 window seals were repros. The rubber pulls in a bit were the window latch is and the fit wasn't perfect but may be better than nothing. Also check with Brad Bez, he has restored several avanti lately and may have a source.

Thanks. I checked with Myers early on in my initial search. They have 2 repro sets, but they are understandably not for sale as they have been earmarked for restorations that are in progress. They supplied me with the most current information about why they are NLA. I have not (but will shortly) check with Brad Bez.

If I find a nice set I Will let Paul K. know so a mold can be made.

I guess that I was lucky getting all the cabin weathering stripping last year from Studebaker International. Brad Bez put it all in for me in September, so everything is nice and tight now. One disadvantage of the rear windows with new weatherstripping now is that I can't just reach around with 1 hand and open or close the windows. Those babies are tight!

I may have some used ones, however, I may just have one side.....I will check.

Often they can be softened by soaking them in trans fluid, Then wipe down with glycerin.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for checking Brad.

Unfortunately Bob Helm does not have the seals in stock afterall. He is returning my payment with the order unfilled. Still on the hunt then for a new set.

I remember the ones I purchased were high quality and fit perfect. That said, my guess is either Steele or Metro was making them but they do not list them in their current catalogs. I recently restored a 64 Lincoln convertible and to say the least it was weatherseal HELL. So much was unavailable or there are rogue suppliers selling junk. Myself ( and many others) waited a year for Metro to make another run of vent window seals. We don't want to go through this with our Avantis.

If you do locate an excellent used set or better an NOS set, let me know. I know a guy that makes good seals and we should have him make a mold.

Paul

I believe that Dan and Betty from Nostalgic have the original moulds but can't get anyone to make them. Maybe you should talk to them and introduce them to your guy.

pb

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been on the site for a while. Will check out if he he is interested. Before I ask, I need to get an idea what they they will sell for. I can't remember what I paid for mine 13 years ago but those prices would be outdated. What would we pay? There won't be much demand due to Avantis low production numbers so set-up costs and a low production run would be pricey. ( I assume)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I've given up trying to find a new pair as well. Sent a PM to Paul K to see if any luck getting his friend to reproduce them. I'm going to spruce up mine, best possible, to reinstall after I finish repainting my Avanti, seems a shame the vendors can't find a supplier. I have no idea how much it would cost to set up a mold, but if Nostagic has the mold, that should be enough incentive for some one to make them, run a few hundred through and return the molds to them.

Have you tried George Dimitsas at Olympus Avanti? I was there last March and he had a lot of mouldings, hopefully of what you are looking for.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone can be persuaded to reproduce these seals please let us know on this forum. I will take a set.

In the meantime I have reconditioned all my door and window seals with mineral oil and so far they seem to be just a bit more pliable than when I got the car. I will have a better idea in the spring when I bring it back outside.

• 1 month later...