Where is the horn relay on a 1982 Avanti?

bobconant

Dear Folks, Can anyone tell me the location of the horn relay on a 1982 Avanti II ? The Studebaker shop manual says on the left fender apron under the battery. That's a logical spot but there is nothing there. By the way, what does it look like? Most horn relays I've seen are a can about 2'x2'x3/4" but then I'm an old flathead Ford guy and I'm not that familiar with later cars of other brands. Thanks for any help. Bob

Follow the hot lead from the left side horn back to the relay. On my '70 the relay is on the left tire well on the apron. By the '80s there were so many additions under the hood due to emissions requirements and power accessories there's little wonder why it might have been relocated...either to where it has more room or to get it away from heat.

• 4 years later...

I am also having trouble finding the horn relay on my 1983 Avanti.  I can hear it clicking some where under the dash on the left to midway near the firewall on the inside of the car.  Click as it may, the horn does not sound.  If I jumper direct from the battery to the horn it works fine.  I only have one horn located on the right side of the car.  It appears to be an aftermarket unit and not factory  HELP, does anyone know where the mystery relay mighjt be?

:) The lost is found.  One of my horn relays (there is another one under the dash someplace I can hear it actuate when the horn button is pressed) is on the right inside fender about 2/3 of the way in front of the fire wall.  None of the wiremg color coding matches up wit anything else on the horrn circuit.  Mine had been replaced with some sort of a purple/green after market unit that had leaked water inside and stopped working.