Hood insulation

boogieman

Mine was sagging and seperating badly so I removed it. Opinions on usefulness and need to replace.

Heat control? Noise control? Fire supression?

Thinking of Dynamat or something similar if I do replace it. Right now the underside of the hood looks pretty good without the insulation. Thinking of just painting it.

I have owned 3 Corvette's - 2-'65's and 1- '73, none of which had hood insulation, with no issues with hood paint quality.

Boogieman

Studebaker International sells the correct size insulation for under the hood. It wouldn't be for fire suppression...if you've ever seen a fiberglass car that's burned you'll understand. The insulation would mean nothing as it's fiberglass itself and would just add to the conflagration.

When I had my car painted I left the insulation out and have seen no negative effect. One downside to the insulation is everything under the hood will need occasional cleaning of fibers that seem to attach to everything when they shed off the insulation.

I'm guessing the reason for the insulation is either for noise reduction...or an attempt to keep heat from the painted exterior of the hood. I have a '69 Corvette 427 and the under hood is painted a flat black with only a small piece of insulation at the bottom. It's suffered no ill effects from lack of insulation...and I would think the black would absorb heat rather than reflect it.

It is for sound deadening and I think it aids engine cooling by improved baffling. I bought a new (full) pad when I had the 289 rebuilt. Inexpensive. Make sure you use the proper heat proof glue for the installation.

Edited by dapy

When I did my first restoration on my 64 R2 #5470, I did not replace the underside hood insulation. Though it took a fair amount of time to remove the build up of glues and other adhesives & then grind off the bumps and other imperfections, the end result is a beautiful smooth appearance. I really did not notice an increase in noise as I drive my R2 pretty good on the NJ Parkway and NJ Turnpike so the overall roar is a pleasure.

To do it again, I would not use the insulation, I like the look without. When the underside gets greasy or a build up of fan belt dust, a spray o WD-40 and clean rags brings back the shine.

• 4 years later...