Sign in to follow this  
mfg

First Avanti I Ever Saw!

1963r2    0

I never really liked the Avanti that much. I saw them in books etc but they never really appealed to me. Then in the early 90's I saw a friends 63 (R4) and I was in shock.

It was beautiful, I couldn't look at it enough. I couldn't  believe how modern it looked and that it was the same car I saw in those books. I had to have one from that point on.

I figured that maybe Avanti's aren't that photogenic and really need to be seen in the raw to get a full appreciation.

pb

Edited by 1963r2

mfg    0

Very good point...and I think I've seen photos of that beautiful R4 Avanti you're speaking of!

wdaly    0

Summer of 1963 I was a teenage caddy at the Evanston Golf Club in Illinois.  There it was in the parking lot, my dream car, a turquoise Avanti - Big round headlights and everything! 

gwood7    0

At the local dealer showing of one of the airlift Avantis.  I was 10 years old and thought it was "Really Neat".  My grandfather owned the dealership and I had to get dressed up for the event.

studegary    0

The first Avanti that I saw was the first one delivered to the local Avanti dealer - Knight's Garage, Wappingers Falls, NY.  They wouldn't let others drive the car.  A friend of mine, that had a Corvette and a good job as an engineer, was interested in buying an Avanti.  They took him for a ride in it, but they would not let him drive it.  He went off and bought a new Corvette.  He is still a strong Chevrolet man

mfg    0
9 hours ago, studegary said:

The first Avanti that I saw was the first one delivered to the local Avanti dealer - Knight's Garage, Wappingers Falls, NY.  They wouldn't let others drive the car.  A friend of mine, that had a Corvette and a good job as an engineer, was interested in buying an Avanti.  They took him for a ride in it, but they would not let him drive it.  He went off and bought a new Corvette.  He is still a strong Chevrolet man

Definitely a mistake not letting him drive the Avanti!....With a salesman in the car with him, I don't see a problem.

Bad 'salesmanship' I'd say!

64Avanti    0

I was about 12 years old either late 1962 or early 1963.  I got my great uncle to take me to the Studebaker dealer in National City (in the San Diego area).  I was trying to convince him to buy one.  It was white with orange interior.  My uncle was a GM guy having owned Oldsmobiles, Chevy's and a Buick.  I was not able to convince him to buy a Studebaker!

mtgibby    0

Besides the Revell model kit I built as a kid in the 70s, the first real Avanti I even saw was a 63 Avanti abandoned on Pearl Harbor Naval Station in the early eighties.

I was stationed at Submarine Base PH on the USS Tautog, when I drove over to the 'surface' side of the base where they parked the big grey targets. 

Over near the shipyard was a very sad looking red Avanti sitting on the ground with no wheels. It had been there so long that it had become fenced in at the intersection of three chain link fences, so you couldn't get very close to it.

No idea on the back story for the car or whatever became of it.

Sad.

I remember the day.  It was Denver, Colorado.  1970.  It was a white Avanti, you know the white, like a cloud color but this was like no cloud I ever saw.

There it was, parked alongside a radiator shop, or maybe an auto electric place or an alignment business, it was always that kind of place that seemed to attract this kind of a car;  they would be on the side or in the back, patiently waiting for someone or something.  Sometimes they never moved, and years later the place goes away along with the cars, and  you wonder, what happened....

A DAF, or Simca, or ancient Renault, an Arnolt-Bristol under a torn tarp,  a Bradley GT with a Porsche motor that never ran, the kind of place that maybe had a "Muffler Man" standing tall outside;  those places always had these cars

Of course, it was in better shape than the rest, someone loved it--maybe the owner got it for a song--transmission blowout--financial blowout.  I asked my dad as my stare went from the tail to the amazing front end--Dad what is that?  And his reply, that is an Avanti son!

It was no bubblegum baseball cards, or Eldon slot car racing, or GI Joe adventures for me after school the next day, it was library time and a book called World Cars or something--Every make had an entry, and of course, there was the famous slanted picture of another white Avanti, and I was more amazed than when I found out that Checker made regular cars, or that Porsche and Volkswagen were related, or that there was a GTO Ferrari and not just a Pontiac.  It needed no explanation for what it was, it was simply that, an Avanti.

My mind flashed back to that for years, the grey sky day, the white building with the whiter Avanti, it sitting there, passerby's not knowing what was right there, that car that looked like nothing else and I got to see it and I knew where it was, and what it was.

That's the first time I saw one.