'73 transmission

Greg Howarth

Greg if the "D" for drive indicator next to the shift handle has a "O" or circle around it it may be an overdrive...I cant imagine anyone it back to a non OD trans....and of course you can always pop in to your local trans shop and get the straight scoop from a knowledgeable person....or just ask my wife...she has an answer for everything...BILL RQB3263...(Still in the paint shop)

If it's original as you say, the answer is no overdrive. It's about 10 years early for an overdrive. It wouldn't be hard to convert over to one with your 350 SBC but you will need some parts and a couple of mods. 700R4, 4L60 and 4L60E and 2004R will all work with some changes. Bob

Your 73 would have been equipped new with a 400 motor. Since you're now sporting a 350 Crate motor, its also possible the trans was also swapped out. Driving at 70 mph with a THM 400 will be running around 3000 RPM's where as the AOD trans will be showing around 2000 RPM's at 70 mph.

Greg,

Wives just don't drink the Avanti Koolaid like guys do. This goes back to the original design and roll out of the Avanti. It was very polarizing, with people either loving it or hating it, with very few in the middle of the spectrum. I saw it first as a Freshman in high school and fell in love with it, The first car I bought as a Senior in High School was a 2 year old round headlight Black R1. I had that car about 3 1/2 years. I was without another Avanti until January 2011, buying a 76 Avanti II that I have put over 28,000 miles on it, driving it to East and West coasts after a full restoration in stages. I also picked up an 89 convertible in November 2013, enjoying it in combination with the 76.

My wife gave me the "second childhood routine" only riding in it when she had to. We drove separate cars to International Meets in Colorado and Delaware before. This past summer she did ride with me from Chicagoland to Santa Monica following Rte 66 on the Great American Tour, so there is hope your wife to grow to accept the car.

Edited by plwindish