radiator overflow tank cap

wildfelr

I need the cap for the radiator plastic overflow tank on my 81/305 Avanti II ..What I have is most likely original and rusted out......there may be even a generic plastic screw on cap that by some miracle fits ..Parts suppliers want to sell the entire kit....no thanks ...call Bill 386 466-6434

Finding the cap alone may be a real challenge.

1) Can you see if there is a pressure rating on your old cap? (if so, my guess is 7#) If you can, you might try taking it to a NAPA store to see if they have anything like it.

Some of those Radi-Acc overflow reservoirs did not use a pressurized cap with a venting nipple, they just caught a certain volume of overflow vented by the radiator cap

and the excess beyond that is vented from a nipple near the top of the reservoir.

2) If you have the Radi-acc overflow setup, here's a possible source for a new cap

http://asvplastics.com/radiacc/radiacc.html

Looks like they may only sell in bulk, but perhaps they can point you to a retailer that carries their line.

3) Hard to tell from the pictures whether these are the same capacity as the one on the Avanti (about 2 1/2 quarts), but they look very similar and aren't terribly expensive...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADI-ACC-Coolant-Overflow-Bottle-222-/221695405633

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiacc-Radiator-Coolant-Overflow-Accumulator-Tank-model-no-LBI-2-5-CAPACITY-/171907767077?hash=item2806805b25:g:Da8AAOSw0JpV3exi&vxp=mtr

4) try Nostalgic Motorcars to see if they have an overflow tank for your '81

5) if the cap is just plastic and has no pressure vent/spring and outlet nipple, measure the diameter and see if there's anything in the supermarket that has a similar cap (lemonade, iced tea, etc)

Edited by WayneC

RQB3263...THe CAP IS just thin stamped steel no pressure cap..(with holes rusted in it ) Nostalgic was my first choice as i have a credit on the books there ..no luck..the search continues .....BILL

RQB3263....RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANK CAP UPDATE.......previous post talks about how well a BMW p/s reservoir cap fit the Avanti II plastic overflow tank .....and it does fit very well...however....because of its thickness it contacts the inside of the hood with the hood down and latched.....so in short it doesnt work....ill be using the caps sent to me by our contributor ....THANK YOU VERY MUCH....BILL...RQB3263

RQB3263 ...I received the radiator overflow tank caps today and of coarse they fit perfectly ...Many thanks to Charles Peckham of Middletown, RI...best wishes to all for a happy holiday and Merry Christmas....BILL RQB3263

RQB3263 ...I received the radiator overflow tank caps today and of coarse they fit perfectly ...Many thanks to Charles Peckham of Middletown, RI...best wishes to all for a happy holiday and Merry Christmas....BILL RQB3263

Also "I'll be using the caps sent to me by our contributor"

Wildfeir, how about letting the rest of us know what happened here... did "Charles Peckam" (whoever that is) just happen to have a stash of old caps and contact you via private message, or is there a source you should be letting the rest of us know about? Sheesh! ff that's what happened, and there is no source for new caps, say it, don't leave the rest of us wondering.

RQB3263...I posted all the info i have...he indicated he made or had made theses caps...he visits the forum and got my number from the registry so if he see these posts and contacts me again ill let you all know ...RQB3263

RQB3263...I heard from Charles with regard to his radiator overflow tank caps....

Glad to hear they worked for you.

Go ahead and post my address if you'd like. I do have a limited number, but I'm happy to share them.
Charlie
His email is ....<northeastavanti@aol.com>
What a guy !! THANKS AGAIN ...BILL

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I emailed Charlie and ask for two caps, one for coolant over flow tank and the other for windshield washer tank. Charlie not only sent me two caps with labels for each cap, but he did this at no charge. "What a guy"   Thanks  again Charlie.