73Avanti gas tank remveal

Greg Howarth

ok guys I need help. I have a gas tank leaking into the back seat and spare tire well.

it seems to leak when the tank is full .

My son and I tried to remove the tank today and couldn't get the tank to budge. We disconnected the filer , the straps and the gas line.

We can't find any other connections. Were else can it be held down.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a bit confused. Is the tank loose but won't come out of the rear compartment. If that is the case, the as Regnalbob said above, get under the car and remove the 90 degree fitting from the bottom of the tank. If you do, be aware, that is the gas feed line and everything in the tank will come out when you remove the hose. Best to find the brass TEE fitting under the passenger side door and empty the tank there.

BE AWARE, that even if you drain the tank through the fitting there is still some fuel in the tank that will come out when you remove the hose. Do it outside!!!! This is also the time to replace that hose with EFI quality hose. The one thing about the Avanti tank location is if that hose fails everything in the tank empties directly under the car.

If the tank won't move, then it is possibly held in place by foreign material or corrosion. In that case, you should be able to get a thin pry bar between the side of the tank and the rear body. Tape the bar head up and just pry gently until it is free. Patience and gentle is your friend here.

If the second example is the case, be sure to complete draining the tank before you try further to remove the tank.

DO IT OUTSIDE!!!!!!

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Guys, my son and I removed the tank this morning. Couldn't get the ebow to come loose so we drilled around it . on the body not the tank. job comeplete.

Avanti 83 suggested to do this outside. now I know why. what a mess. The problem is the HOA won't let me work on my car in the driveway. so everything is done in the garage.

After removing the tank I couldn't find a leak but it looks like the tank has been patched a number of times. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new tank.

The Avanti parts web site has a tank for about 650.00. Is their anything less exspencive out there.

Issue #2 when I would drive the car, I would get about 2 hours out of a full tank and then the car would die. Then I would put about 3 gallons in the car and I'd be off and running for a while.

when we drained the tank I had about 15 gallons (also the gas gauge doesn't work). I can't figure out why it will cut out with plenty of gas and go again with a couple of gallons.

also can't find the right fuel gauge. Avanti parts sent me the wrong one and summitt was no better.

I need a gauge with TWO studs in the back not five, plus the gauge is a little shorter in depth. any I dea's will be greatly appreciated.